PDA

View Full Version : Boot repair issue im stuck ?

johnmccormack
August 11th, 2014, 02:48 AM
i have followed all the steps in in boot repair so far and have had no issues untill now i has asked me to copy and past this command in to the terminal "sudo chroot "/mnt/boot-sav/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root" apt-get install -y --force-yes grub-pc linux" and on doing this i get this response
"Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package grub-pc is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'grub-pc' has no installation candidate"

i cant proceed with the bootn repair process until this retuns the desired results with should be an option on which drive i want to install grub on
anybody got any ideas ?

steeldriver
August 11th, 2014, 03:09 AM
Hello and welcome to the forums

What is the Ubuntu version number of the system you are trying to repair?

grahammechanical
August 11th, 2014, 03:25 AM
Package grub-pc is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source

E: Package 'grub-pc' has no installation candidate"

The command that you ran gave the instruction to install grub-pc linux.

apt-get install -y --force-yes grub-pc linux

But the apt-get utility that installs packages cannot find grub-pc linux. Are you connected to the internet?

should be an option on which drive i want to install grub on

That is not how I read the error message.

Regards.

johnmccormack
August 14th, 2014, 03:27 AM
hi steeldriver sorry for the delay in getting back !
i cant be certain but it think it was 13.04 or 13.10
i have tried bot repair on the live cd version 04.04.01.lts and for a while was stuck on the part of the process that asks the useer to paste in code to the terminal to purge grub after many attempts i managed to get passed that and now i cant get past the next stage where it asks to past more code into theterminal the error message i have posted is the error from this hope this helps

johnmccormack
August 14th, 2014, 03:39 AM
hi grahammechanical
thanks for the break don and explanation its nice to know whats going on.
as for the internet yes i am connected know other applications on the os suffer from lack of internet connectivity?

the "should be an option on which drive i want to install grub on, this is displayed in boot repair to give the user an idea of what should happen after pasting the requested code into the terminal window sorry for not mentioning that in the post earlier

johnmccormack
August 14th, 2014, 03:44 AM
if there are any files that would make this easier to troble shoot and ill pull them from my broken install installation and post a copy as i can get at the files via live cd ?

oldfred
August 14th, 2014, 04:54 AM
If you are not running 12.04 or 14.04 which are the LTS versions, the repositories have closed as the install is obsolete. That is why you cannot download grub-pc.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Probably best to back up everything and either update or reinstall the current version.