PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Changing wallpapers in Kubuntu...?

Mike_Walsh
August 10th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Evening, all.

Now then:- I'm trying out Kubuntu 14.04. I'm trying to get the hang of the Plasma Desktop.

What I would like to do is install my own wallpaper. I've already put it in the 'Home' folder, but I can't figure out how you get it onto the desktop! Makes me sound like even more of a noob than I actually am...

Changing wallpapers in Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu....even Mint, is easy, because when you're selecting wallpapers in those distros, you have access to your other folders and devices via the sidebar. With Kubuntu, you appear to be stuck with the default set of wallpapers, with no way of accessing anything other than the alternative ones available via download.

I like the customization abilities of the KDE desktop.....especially the widgets. I can see me using this one more and more, if only I can figure out some of the basics. I've already got the printer AND scanner up and running, which in themselves seem to be tasks that stump many people, so my 30-odd years of playing around with these things obviously counts for something!

I'm running all five of these distros, and I have a kind of common theme which I like to install as the default wallpaper.....simply modifying it as to to colour scheme, and graphics. Can some kind soul take pity on an old codger, and put me out of my misery, please?

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Regards,

Mike.

AnotherKevin
August 10th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Howdy! One old codger to another... :-)

It's easy... If it's an image you want to use, just make sure it's in your Pictures directory, right click on the desktop and choose "Default Desktop Settings" >> then choose Image from the dropdown list. Other options are available from that dropdown...

Hope that helps! One old codger to another... ;-)

Kevin

Mike_Walsh
August 10th, 2014, 07:58 PM
ANOTHER Kevin? How many are there? *lol*

Well, howdy to you, too. Thanks for that! I just came on here, in fact, to tell everyone I'd solved it myself... Not by your method (which I shall certainly give a try); no, I applied some lateral thinking,

I brought up the Home Directory in the File Manager, minimized the window so I'd got some desktop showing, dragged the image off the window, and dropped it onto the desktop. Bob's your mother's brother.....sorted!

I've only been using Linux for a few months, y'see. Shows how ingrained years of Windows use becomes....hah!!

Many thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll definitely give it a try. Most 'puters have at LEAST half-a-dozen different ways of doing the same thing; but after the other 'buntus (and even Mint, which, admittedly, has its own little foibles), the Plasma desktop DOES take a bit of getting used to...

Cheers!

Regards,

Mike.