PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] TTY startx

Andy_Crowd
August 10th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Hi!
AlsaMixer doesn't work if window manager doesn't start in the same TTY. How can I start window manager in the same tty. Now when I am in tty1 and the X starts on tty7. I want start from tty1 and X must run in the same tty.

1) I found a part of solution workaround: «xinit -- vt1» if I start from tty1 then X will run on tty1, «vt» option is for choosing of tty.

2) Work for any tty by getting and using current:
$ xinit -- vt$(basename tty | sed 's/^...//' )
$ xinit -- vt$(tty | sed 's/[^*]*y//' )
$ xinit -- vt$XDG_VTRN

3) Edited /usr/bin/startx script:
Added variable:
myvt='vt'"$(tty | sed 's/[^*]*y//' )"
Used $myvt as an argument for serverargs:
serverargs="$myvt"
This works only for using of the startx command but not for xinit.

4) Use in the «~/.xinitrc» or «/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc» scripts:
exec startx /usr/bin/yourwindowmanager
But startx must be edited as in example workaround 3)

5)Run a custom windowmanager with xinit not the one that is in the xinitrc start up configuration scipts:
$ xinit /usr/bin/yourwindowmanager -- 'vt'"$(tty | sed 's/[^*]*y//' )"

6) Use aliases with xinit:
$ export MYWM='/usr/bin/yourwindowmanager'" -- "'vt'"$(tty | sed 's/[^*]*y//' )"
$ xinit $MYWM

7) Need to find how to edit default xinit settings for starting of xserver in current tty.

Best Regards
Mr. Me

steeldriver
August 10th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Hello and welcome to the forums

Can you give us some background here? it should not be necessary to change the VT on which the X server runs just to use alsamixer. What exactly are you trying to do?

Andy_Crowd
August 10th, 2014, 04:00 PM
I thought that it depends on tty and xinit (my workarounds helps but is not a solution) but it has to do with user rights.

I found a bigger problem now. It depends on user rights. I need to make alsamixer work in windowmanager.
When I start xserver from any tty it always opens on tty7, if I start alsamixer in a terminal in a windowmanager (I am using wmaker and openbox) then I getting errors like "cannot open mixer: No such file or directory", but then I do sudo alsamixer then it opens without any problems. I don't use any desktop managers as Lightdm/mdm/gdm, I prefer console for myself.

I preparing hard drive with ubuntu in vmware for my laptop, and I used mini.iso for installation for getting only apps that I will need. I am running Arch Linux on my PC, Ubuntu will be only on laptops (installing ubuntu to my friends sometimes and need to practice some command from time to time).

Please help to find where I need to change access rights or add user to a correct group?

I really need to make it work until tomorrow.

.... Look like the mission is impossible.... still waiting .....

Andy_Crowd
August 10th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Can someone test to confirm my problem with mini.iso + alsamixer + openbox + startx/xinit + no gui desktop managers (like mdm,gdm,lightdm,kdm,...)?
I am testing in VMware, you can too.

Andy_Crowd
August 12th, 2014, 05:53 PM
I found another part of soulution to my problem:
$ usermod -a -G adm,cdrom,sudo,audio,dip,plugdev,netdev,lpadmin,sa mbashare myusername
I had to add myusername to an audio group.

0) I can open alsamixer but is no sound even if everything is on max.
1) I can open alsa mixer now and it shows bars.
2) I still cannot listen a music as normal.
3) So far I can listen music only by using my workarounds, modified /usr/bin/startx script and added [[ -z $DISPLAY && $XDG_VTNR -eq 1 ]] && exec startx to the my $HOME/.profile file.
5) Restarted computer and now it works without any problems (using xinit to start X, it using settings from $HOME/.xinitrc).

Thanks for me! I solved it by myself! Too sad for so low help I got here.