PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] unity stopped working after upgrade to trusty

mariuss
August 10th, 2014, 07:04 AM
I upgraded to trusty from 13.10 and as far as I can tell Unity stopped working. I get the login screen, but after entering username and password I get a screen with only a standard wallpaper. There is a mouse cursor, but it does not do anything, right clicking does not pop up a menu.

I can login using one of the Ctrl-Alt-Fx terminals, run updates and all.

Any suggestions?

There is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. The video card is ATI and I think fglrx is supposed to be the driver. Tried to start in safe mode and that does not work, it hangs on a screen that says something about fsck, I let it there a long time, it is not fsck hanging.

Thanks

mariuss
August 10th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Just looked at /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log and noticed some errors there:

modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:809 kmod_module_insert_module() could not find module by name='fglrx_updates'
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'fglrx_updates': Function not implemented

The fglrx-updates and fglrx-amdcccle-updates packages are installed, and these seem to be the only fglrx* packages. I can try installing fglrx, just don't understand why would it be missing, and trying not to make things worse.

mariuss
August 10th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Installed fglrx, fglrx-updates was uninstalled, and still getting the same error:
modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:809 kmod_module_insert_module() could not find module by name='fglrx'
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'fglrx': Function not implemented

Is this a LightDM bug?

grahammechanical
August 10th, 2014, 11:52 PM
It most likely is a video driver conflict. As you are getting to a desktop but with only the wallpaper, you can try this: Right click the desktop wallpaper and select Change Desktop Background. That will load System Settings and from there you can open Software and Updates>Additional Drivers tab. You need to be connected to the internet and to allow the utility time to search for drivers. Then experiment.

Regards.

mariuss
August 11th, 2014, 12:52 AM
Thanks, but as I mentioned right clicking does not bring up any menus.

I purged the fglrx driver, supposedly that switched me to radeon, and finally I can login. But now there is no HDMI sound, and apparently that should be on by default in trusty. I followed these instructions:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver#Removing_the_proprietary_fglrx_driver

Tried to re-install fglrx, run into the exact same problem as before. This is rather strange because I have another computer, exactly same video card, and it is running fglrx happily, with trusty as well.

kansasnoob
August 11th, 2014, 01:18 AM
I encountered a bug while performing Saucy -> Trusty upgrades:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/1347721

Just for fun (won't blow anything up) run:

sudo update-grub

Then:

sudo apt-get -f install

Then do whatever that recommends - if anything. Then reboot and try going through the whole graphics driver thing again.

mariuss
August 11th, 2014, 03:48 AM
Mystery solved. For whatever reason I had an old kernel, 3.8.0-26. The linux-generic and linux-image-generic packages were not installed, not clue how that happened, and basically the kernel would never update. linux-headers-generic was installed, so I was getting the latest headers (and old binaries). After installing linux-generic and linux-image-generic everything stated to work. Both radeon and gflrx, and HDMI audio.

Thanks for the pointers.

kansasnoob
August 11th, 2014, 05:02 AM
Mystery solved. For whatever reason I had an old kernel, 3.8.0-26. The linux-generic and linux-image-generic packages were not installed, not clue how that happened, and basically the kernel would never update. linux-headers-generic was installed, so I was getting the latest headers (and old binaries). After installing linux-generic and linux-image-generic everything stated to work. Both radeon and gflrx, and HDMI audio.

Thanks for the pointers.

That's basically what happened to me, only mine was the 3.11 kernel:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/1347721/comments/4

I still found more slightly borked packages that failed to upgrade though :(

It did finally resolve after several go-arounds with apt-get -f install and apt-get install ubuntu-desktop (but maybe you're not using ubuntu-desktop) so your mileage may vary.

mariuss
August 11th, 2014, 05:55 AM
Good point, there could be other packages that have been dropped. I checked and ubuntu-desktop is installed.

How does "apt-get -f install" help? Isn't it forcing an install?

kansasnoob
August 11th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Good point, there could be other packages that have been dropped. I checked and ubuntu-desktop is installed.

How does "apt-get -f install" help? Isn't it forcing an install?

It just looks for issues to resolve, like unmet dependencies, partially installed packages, packages that may not have upgraded, or packages to autoremove. It's mostly informative.

mariuss
August 11th, 2014, 06:51 AM
I see, thanks. "apt-get -f install" did not find anything either.