PDA

View Full Version : Applications Menu shown in Cairo-Dock

benzel2
August 10th, 2014, 02:44 AM
Q. How do I get an "Application Menu" as shown in the green circle? Is this specific to Cairo-Dock? It seems that Cairo-dock grabs newly installed software ie: "Graphics>Gimp" and I didn't have to edit one configuration file.

It's been a while since I've used any Linux, but I remember all the old sayings: "RTFM", "Use the search button", "Google is your friend", etc...... All the searching has turned up quite a few detailed directions on manually creating files to create menus. I feel like I'm trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

Attached is an image of the Cairo-dock after clicking the first icon - which brings up the "Applications Menu" and I can browse my programs by categories (In the green Circle). I cropped out the left side of my screen (and the entire 2nd screen on the right), but 3 programs I installed show up: Gimp, Filezilla, Audio Tag Tool.

Eventually I'll have too many icons on the left side and it will be ugly. I'm already tired of searching/typing in Unity trying to locate the name of programs I already forgot. I need a collected list of applications on the machine with out searching through /sbin /bin, etc......and Cairo-dock seems to have the tool. I'm suprised this basic menu isn't in Ubuntu - was this a "KDE" thing?

Some how I'm sure there will be a previous post covering this, but I haven't typed the magic keywords yet to show the thread. Thank you in advance for your help.

Frogs Hair
August 10th, 2014, 05:18 PM
I am primarily a Unity user but have installed the Cairo Dock and session also . The session is selected at login includes wing panels with a traditional drop-down menu as well . For unity see the link .

http://www.howtogeek.com/189929/how-to-install-and-launch-the-classic-gnome-menu-in-ubuntu-14.04/

benzel2
August 10th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Thanks Frog,

working great. I like cairo-dock for now, but I wanted some permanent, and not animated when I'm lost. :) Thanks again! I also got a lesson on "startup app"