PDA

View Full Version : My First Install / Ubuntu Security Help

lloyd5
August 8th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Ok guys first off let me say that I have installed Ubuntu 14 on my laptop. It is installed and encrypted etc. Well my question is what are some of the Security features and all? Like with Windows I was able to Have programs like DNSCrypt, VPN ( I have a VPN finally installed on Ubuntu), Mac Address Changer, CCleaner etc. What are a list of Recommended installs for Linux? Or does Linux come preconfigured for the most part? Also is there a Tutorial/Guide or maybe even a Service via remote access that anyone could set this up for me? I will pay somebody to install all security features and maybe a little explanation on how to keep up to date? Any ideas on helping me secure my Linux workstation would be appreciated!!

mikewhatever
August 8th, 2014, 02:57 PM
What security features do you need? In other words, "make secure" from what?
Note that the stuff you've listed - DNScrypt, VPN, Mac changer and ccleaner - have nothing to do with security. They are related to privacy, which isn't the same.
Ubuntu doesn't come preconfigured with any of that, and, IMHO, there is no reason to just pile them up.

lloyd5
August 8th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Well i want to steer away from Windows because they are sketchy as hell. I am doing normal banking, email and communicating to my clients at work from home at times and I want to remain in the clear. I deal with there personal information and don't want anyone snooping lol! Nothing illegal just want to be as safe and secure as possible. I guess you can say I am wanting to know more about Privacy then. Could you tell me what I could configure to do just that? Is there a tutorial or whatever that could help me out? I appreciate the help!

ajgreeny
August 8th, 2014, 04:45 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Security
should tell you all you need to know (and quite a lot that probably need not bother you).

You need to forget the old windows security model and requirements; they simply are not needed on a standard desktop system running Ubuntu, and as with any OS the biggest risk is the person using the keyboard and mouse.

lloyd5
August 8th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Ok perfect thank you very much!!