PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] New Toshiba laptop - everything installed fine - Firefox question also

dave131
August 7th, 2014, 12:05 AM
I actually got a new laptop! It was cheap so it was all I could afford, but it seems to work fine. Toshiba C55-B5298 with Windows 8.1 installed from the factory. As recommended in the forums, I shrunk the main Windows partition then went to install from a 14.04 DVD. Selected the other option and put swap and another single partition (/) in the new partition. It found my wireless right off the bat so all I had to do was enter the network password. I just let it go ahead with the normal install. When it finished and rebooted, everything worked first time - could get to Windows 8.1, could get to Ubuntu! I guess I was lucky as I didn't need to use boot-repair! So, you can add this laptop to the "installs with no problem" list.

I do have something strange (at least to me) - Firefox doesn't have the icons for bookmarks, settings, etc.. All I see is the view the downloads and the house for home. No horizontal scroll bar shows on the window. I'd like to be able to set the home page, use bookmarks, etc., like I used to be able to.

ubfan1
August 7th, 2014, 12:24 AM
The horizontal scrollbar doesn't show unless it's needed. Move your cursor to the top of the screen to see the Firefox menu.

dave131
August 7th, 2014, 03:46 AM
Well do I feel abnormally stupid now! That was it - thank you!

As an addition to the comments on the notebook: my power settings only show suspend or nothing when closing the lid, and is currently set on suspend. A few hours later when I opened the lid it woke right up! Judging from some threads I've seen, I may have gotten lucky there as well - unless there is a hibernation option somewhere I don't see.

sammiev
August 7th, 2014, 04:46 AM
Hi dave,

I found myself very lucky with Toshiba Intel based units working with Linux right out of the box. No surprise to read your comments. :)

sudodus
August 8th, 2014, 09:46 AM
I have been lucky with a Toshiba too. With some tweaking I could even make an Ubuntu system that boots in both UEFI and BIOS mode.

See this link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/UEFI-and-BIOS