PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 14.04 Clean re-install

Robbyx
August 6th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Something seems to be wrong with my usb drivers so I am going to do a re-install. When doing a clean re-install of 14.04, having previously installed 14.04, I wonder how to follow this advice:

. If you have stuff from packages outside the Ubuntu repository, you have to migrate the /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory to your new installation. When using PPA it is best to issue the PPA commands before applying the installed_packages.txt as PPA takes care of downloading the public keys of the repository. Also, run aptitude update before applying the list. – antiguru

How do I regenerate all the items in the synaptic other software and their authentication keys?

Is there a program that will output the details to a file to be brought back in after the re-install?

R

ibjsb4
August 7th, 2014, 02:09 PM
PPA's are not an option on a fresh install. You must be using a copy of your sources list (and list.d) to reinstall your packages. If so, how are you doing that?

Robbyx
August 7th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Home is on a seperate partition which will not be reformatted.

I have backed up fstab and the full markings in synaptic, but I could see a problem if there are programs in synaptic's list that need repositories that are not standard with Ubuntu.

Would you suggest that I backup and then restore all of /etc/apt?

R

ibjsb4
August 7th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Ok, makes sense. A markings list will copy the ppa packages, but not the sources.list.d where your ppa's reside.

Would you suggest that I backup and then restore all of /etc/apt?
I have not done this, but I think that should work just fine. That would also give you the gpg's.

Robbyx
August 9th, 2014, 03:13 PM
It worked well. I had to change the UUID of course because I had reformatted the system partition.

R

ibjsb4
August 9th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Thats good to know

See ya :)