PDA

View Full Version : Iphone 6 will have larger screen but, should it?

mamamia88
August 6th, 2014, 06:09 PM
I love my smartphone. I no longer need to carry a phone, camera,and mp3 player. That being said none of those functions are dependent on screen size. Most other functions I use are covered by apps that format the content to the screen size. I also have a nexus 7 that if I'm going to be in a place where I need something larger for extended periods of time I can bring along with me. Am i the only one who thinks that phones are getting bigger but, for no real reason? Sure I could replace the nexus 7 with a 5.5 inch phone but, 7 is always > 5 and most content formatted properly will be fine on either a 4 inch or 5.5 inch screen. And something like a note 3 won't fix the problem with desktop sites being displayed on mobile browsers. It will just make it only a little bit better.

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 6th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Personally, I would love a 5.5 inch phone. I have a 4 inch phone that is almost impossible for me to type on. If the on-screen keys were bigger on the 5.5 inch phone that would be a better. All my children and grandchildren seem to think the phone is for text messaging, and not calling someone. :)

sffvba[e0rt
August 6th, 2014, 09:19 PM
The popularity of bigger screens will force Apple to conform I suspect.

mooreted
August 6th, 2014, 11:00 PM
I had a small phone, I like my 5.5" LG much better. I can see better and I can text better.

bashiergui
August 7th, 2014, 12:31 AM
Am i the only one who thinks that phones are getting bigger but, for no real reason? Yes ;)

Many websites, news sites in particular, have extra top banners and ads on the bottom and sides. When you start with a 3 inch screen that leaves a half-inch for viewing text, which is beyond maddening. I was recently trying to read an article on one site that displayed these damned social media sharing icon right over top of the half inch of text I finally gave up trying to read.

What I can't figure out is why the world isn't demanding phones that won't shatter every time you trip. I LOATHE protective cases, they're bulky and reduce sensitivity on the screen too much. Plexiglass phones FTW.

user1397
August 7th, 2014, 01:39 AM
I actually am going to go against the mainstream view here, and say I actually don't like how big screens are getting. I currently have a Nexus 5 which has a 4.95" screen but even the Nexus 4 with its 4.7" screen was a bit much for me. I like being able to hold a phone with one hand and reach all parts of the screen with one hand. I don't care too much for movies on my phone as I do that rarely, so it's really just for texting, calling, and mobile web browsing.

I was thinking about getting the Moto G. It has a 4.5" screen (for comparison iphone 4/S is 3.5" and iphone 5/s/c is 4") which seems like a pretty good size. Great specs for the price too, and you can even buy a Google Play Edition with 100% pure android (always a plus) and it's pre-unlocked.

Of course, it would probably make more sense to wait a couple months to see what the new Moto G will be like.

mamamia88
August 7th, 2014, 06:17 AM
I actually am going to go against the mainstream view here, and say I actually don't like how big screens are getting. I currently have a Nexus 5 which has a 4.95" screen but even the Nexus 4 with its 4.7" screen was a bit much for me. I like being able to hold a phone with one hand and reach all parts of the screen with one hand. I don't care too much for movies on my phone as I do that rarely, so it's really just for texting, calling, and mobile web browsing.

I was thinking about getting the Moto G. It has a 4.5" screen (for comparison iphone 4/S is 3.5" and iphone 5/s/c is 4") which seems like a pretty good size. Great specs for the price too, and you can even buy a Google Play Edition with 100% pure android (always a plus) and it's pre-unlocked.

Of course, it would probably make more sense to wait a couple months to see what the new Moto G will be like.

See that's my thinking. I have an s3 but come close to dropping it when I try and use it one hand. I have to somewhat half drop it to readjust it in my hand. I don't read books on it (have a paperwhite for this) or watch many videos on it. I might watch a video podcast from time to time to kill time when sitting in the car while someone else is driving, but I don't really pay attention to the video part just the audio. Also I'd rather see better website design than be forced to buy a bigger phone to compensate. Also situations where i might need my phones browser for more than 10 minutes rarely come up since most of what I use my phone for has an app which formats the content properly for your device. Sure it's slightly better for browsing but, browsing on phones will always be subpar until more sites are formatted properly. In the meantime I would rather have a phone that does the stuff I use it for the most well camera, audio, social media, alarm clock well. And none of this stuff is really dependent on the size of the screen. If I need something bigger I will just bring something bigger like the nexus 7 as well as my phone.

Webmasters_Pride
August 8th, 2014, 05:51 PM
People are tired of iphone small display. Thats why Samsung phones are hot sellers nowadays.

jakub11
August 10th, 2014, 08:37 PM
But Samsung and Apple totally ignore people, who still want to have old fashioned phones that have 2 main functions: calling and messaging. A well designed version of such device would make a real attention.

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 11th, 2014, 12:46 AM
...And none of this stuff is really dependent on the size of the screen. If I need something bigger I will just bring something bigger like the nexus 7 as well as my phone.

Not everyone can afford to have multiple mobile devices like a smart phone and a tablet. :)

d-cosner
August 11th, 2014, 12:52 AM
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note, at first I liked the large screen but now I wish I had gone with the Samsung Galaxy S3. The Galaxy Note is kind of big to carry in my pocket. My wifes S3 seems just as easy to use and it fits in a pocket much better.

mastablasta
August 11th, 2014, 12:34 PM
but now I wish I had gone with the Samsung Galaxy S3.

Motorola Moto G might be a better choice then. much cheaper and more or less same thing only slightly better.

it all depends what you do with the phone. if you intend to do work on it then screen is necessary if you mostly use it for phone, occasional picture, app etc. then large screen is overrated. and so is the ultramega octa core CPU. :P