PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade Craziness

tommyss4l
August 5th, 2014, 08:09 PM
So after having a busybox error, I decided it would be easier to just reformat the hard drive with ubuntu again. So I installed 13.04 and after some strange issues with the internet, I got it to update to 13.10. Here's where my issues got strange, I was able to start the update to 14.04 easily enough, the download went fine and then during the install, my monitor kept turning off, like the computer was timing out the screen. When I would shake the mouse, everything was fine, then I tried to open the display settings and they wouldn't open. As it wasn't impeding the install (so it seemed) I decided to let it go on as it was. The screen would turn on and off on it's own for a few minutes until I umplugged my headphones. The computer then shut down and I cannot get back into Ubuntu at all. The boot process works just fine and just after the boot splash when the log in screen is supposed to come up all that's there is a blank black screen with a blinking cursor. It won't let me type anything and my only option is to turn the computer off and back on only to lead to the same place.

Any ideas on how to fix it? Or should I reformat again?

QIII
August 5th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Hello!

Upgrading from one freshly installed release past its End Of Life to another past its EOL on the way to a supported release was recipe for a significant emotional event.

Since you have little invested, I would suggest a fresh install of a supported release. But be sure to back up any files you want to keep.

Cheers!

kansasnoob
August 5th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Hello!

Upgrading from one freshly installed release past its End Of Life to another past its EOL on the way to a supported release was recipe for a significant emotional event.

Since you have little invested, I would suggest a fresh install of a supported release. But be sure to back up any files you want to keep.

Cheers!

+1! I'd just use 14.04.1:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/14.04/

ian-weisser
August 6th, 2014, 12:58 AM
So after having a busybox error, I decided it would be easier to just reformat the hard drive with ubuntu again.

Most 'busybox error' are very, very easy and very fast to fix.

tommyss4l
August 6th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Thanks all, I'll just retry with 14.04