PDA

View Full Version : Dual Booting with Windows XP

gordon99
August 5th, 2014, 12:03 PM
My daughter has an old (2003) desktop computer running on Windows XP. It now performs at snails pace even though there is lots of unused space on the hard disk. It has 1 GB of RAM but I am not sure of the processor speed. I am thinking of installing Xubuntu or similar, dual booting with Windows XP, but I would very much like to know if I can expect Xubuntu to perform at a much higher speed than the Windows XP OS on her computer within a dual boot set up. I would like to do away with her Windows XP OS altogether but she does have some iTunes albums therein and I would like her still to have access to these. Thank you for reading. I hope you can help.

chris272
August 5th, 2014, 12:31 PM
I am trying to do the very same thing. I expect it to work much better than xp. I recently did a Windows seven replacement with ubuntu and am quite pleased with it. Good luck!

coldraven
August 5th, 2014, 01:36 PM
I have put Xubuntu on a couple of low powered netbooks and it worked fine.
You could also try booting with a Linux rescue disk and give XP a thorough scan for malware. That might speed it up a bit.
I have only used this one for Windows password recovery and not for virus checking. Other rescue disks are available.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Rescue_Kit

Mark Phelps
August 5th, 2014, 04:16 PM
While Xubuntu might run faster, there's no guarantee -- especially when you don't know what processor you have.

You should boot from a LiveDVD of Xubuntu and run "lspci" in a terminal -- to list out the hardware.