PDA

View Full Version : What do you do to spread Ubuntu?

Johnsie
July 27th, 2006, 04:17 AM
What do you people do to spread Ubuntu?

Here's what I do:

I have "powered by Ubuntu" buttons at the buttom of my webpages and a 480x60 banner where banners would go.

I give a cd to anyone who asks about it, or even criticizes Linux

I put the stickers on any computer that runs Ubuntu

I recommend it when I hear my friends complaining about Windows

I'm considering refurbishing computers, installing Ubuntu on them and selling them at a close to non-profit rate.

I talk about it on my blog from time to time

Some of the things I think might be negative for Ubuntu promotion:

Complaining on sites because the software does not support Ubuntu. Windows users might go on there, see your message and say, "ha, Linux must suck, nobody makes software for it and it's hard to get software". I think that can scare people out of adopting Linux.

This is controversial but the word "Linux" has built up a reputation over the years. This reputation is that Linux is good and stable but difficult for the average joe to use. We need to counter that reputation and say, things have changed since then and that Linux is now much easier thanks to Ubuntu.

Flaming gets people nowhere too.

gruvsyco
July 27th, 2006, 04:35 AM
I usually stick the CD in a blender with some cream cheese. Goes well with lox and bagels.

Xzallion
July 27th, 2006, 05:34 AM
I install it on friends computers, setting up a dual-boot for them. I also give out cd's, and tell people about if they like my linux machine.

Rule
July 27th, 2006, 07:26 AM
I have Ubuntu stickers on my laptop, rear & side windows of my 2 cars, talk to family and friends about it (got 4 already). I have a link to ubuntu in most of my forum sigs. My dad also mails ubuntu cds to 2 schools in the Philippines :D

kigina
July 27th, 2006, 08:02 AM
When my best friend complains about her computer being crappy I tell her she needs linux.

thats about it

3rdalbum
July 27th, 2006, 09:41 AM
I find someone who looks like they're pretty proficient with computers, and I ask them if they want a free Ubuntu CD.

Spreading Ubuntu isn't rocket science.

kabus
July 27th, 2006, 10:01 AM
I usually use a butter knife.

philippe_carlo
July 27th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I give people that come to me with Windows problems a pittyful look, give a little sigh and murmle something about "... still sure you don't want to switch? ...

Enigmus
July 27th, 2006, 11:29 AM
I usually tell my friends about it and about how great it is. However since most of them are computer illiterate, my mobile would be ringing off the hook

AndyCooll
July 27th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I hand out the CD's, and promote it by talking about open-source in a positive light whenever possible.

:cool:

Johnsie
July 27th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Thanks, I've been getting some great ideas from this.... That Phillipines one was probably the best so far.

I'm hopefully going to order my first refurbishment candidate tomorrow.

I reckon placing a few cd's in a University halls of residence would probably be a good idea since a lot of students like getting free stuff.

cormic
July 27th, 2006, 01:45 PM
I have already got one colleague to convert and I am working on two others.

Simian
July 27th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Here's what I do:

I have "powered by Ubuntu" buttons at the buttom of my webpages and a 480x60 banner where banners would go.

I would love to see these buttons. I googled for "Powered by Ubuntu" but I only found stickers.

william_nbg
July 27th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I'm a teacher and have recommended Ubunut to many students and have given them cds.

In my freetime I design web pages for local business' and have even converted a small company over to Ubuntu - almost a year later they love it. The owner saved a bucket of money not having to upgrade to XP, which he had been planning. They're all fine with OpenOffice. Two have asked me if I'd install it on their home computers - I've done one so far.

When the boss was gloating the night about the money Ubuntu saved him, I hinted that they do take donations.

I, myself, donated 50 bucks to the bounty project last month.