PDA

View Full Version : Installing Google chrome and Dropbox through terminal

tom119
August 4th, 2014, 09:39 PM
I would like to run a bash-script after the installation of lubuntu where, so that the software I want is installed automatically. Now, I would like to know what terminal command do I use to install
- Google Chrome
- Dropbox
also if anyone knows:
How can I put a "info.txt" on the desktop by a bash-shell-script?

Thanks

tom119
August 4th, 2014, 11:55 PM
I now did it "myself". Thanks for reading.

#install Google Chrome and Dropbox
cd ~/
mkdir extra0123
cd extra0123
wget -c https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
wget -c https://www.dropbox.com/download?dl=packages/ubuntu/dropbox_1.6.0_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
cd ..
rm -rf extra0123

#Installing Skype
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ $(lsb_release -sc) partner"
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -y skype

#make file on Desktop
touch ~/Desktop/info.txt

#write into file on desktop
echo "line 1
line 2
line 3" >> ~/Desktop/info.txt | sudo -s

ian-weisser
August 6th, 2014, 01:33 AM
The Chromium browser, and dropbox-nautilus integration (which includes Dropbox) are both already in the Ubuntu repositories.
That would simplify your script.

Using sudo in a shell script is unwise. Run the entire script as sudo instead.

I don't see the need for a script. You really only need to know three package names.

sudo apt-get install chromium-browser skype nautilus-dropbox
You don't even need to remember the package names. You can install the services from Software Center as you need them by searching for the service name....

HL84
August 6th, 2014, 03:03 AM
- Chromium isn't the same as Chrome
- nautilus isn't part of Lubuntu afaik. so nautilus-dropbox doesn't make sense.
- why not use a script to install 30 apps at once after a reinstall. software center takes way more time.

(it's my thread btw. this is an older account of me.)

ian-weisser
August 6th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Sure, those are perfectly valid points. I missed that you were using Lubuntu (lower-case 'l' is so easy to miss).

- why not use a script to install 30 apps at once after a reinstall.

You can...it's entirely a matter of preference.
To me, it's a question of 'why?' instead of 'why not?'

When I reinstall, I deliberately don't install the same applications...until my workflow needs them. Several never get installed, or something new replaces them.

For multiple installs, like in an office where you need uniformity, a preseed file can be even easier than a script.

David_Wright
August 6th, 2014, 11:39 AM
- nautilus isn't part of Lubuntu afaik. so nautilus-dropbox doesn't make sense.

Coincidentally, I finalled installed Dropbox on Lubuntu last night. Despite having the same concerns that "nautilus-dropbox" implies that it would not work in Lubuntu, it actually appears to work perfectly - ie, the Dropbox icon appears in the taskbar and PCManFM can be used to navigate all of the dropbox folders.

Perhaps a better package name would help.