PDA

View Full Version : Reinstall format all my drives.

NawaMan
August 4th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Hi All,

I've just reinstalled my machine to Ubuntu 14.04 (previously 13.04). I backed up my data to external HDD and just simply do the install. During the installation, I select to format the home (which is in the internal HDD) and just mount the external one. But when the installation was done, I found that the external HDD was formatted was well and it is now empty. I unmounted the HDD right away and have been searching for a way to recover the data for a few hours now and at the same time ran the testdisk deep search.

If unrecoverable, I will loose years of my personal data/works (fortunately some backup from 2011 is till in the old HDD) so I determine to get it back.

Is there a way to recover the data? Looked into the forum and found OLD posts (2011) about recovering data. I wonder if things has changed then?

Thank you very much for any helps or thoughts.
Sincerely,

kc1di
August 4th, 2014, 11:04 AM
this page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery) may be of help to you. I always disconnect my exteral drives before install new systems. But that hindsight :)

NawaMan
August 5th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Thanks Dave.

Mark Phelps
August 5th, 2014, 04:18 PM
You didn't indicate what filesystem is on the external drive. IF it's FAT32 or NTFS (Windows format), you would probably do better using Windows data recovery tools.