PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] compton and xorg high cpu

stkeg
August 1st, 2014, 08:50 PM
Hi, i followed the guide for setting up compton in xubuntu here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2144468&highlight=compton

i've notced that when i leave my computer on for a couple of days (maybe 2-3) xorg stays at a high cpu and then UI interaction gets sluggish (slow to move windows, etc)

i kill and then restart compton then everything is ok again.

anyone else have this issue and/or know what's happening?

vasa1
August 2nd, 2014, 03:21 AM
i've notced that when i leave my computer on for a couple of days (maybe 2-3) xorg stays at a high cpu and then UI interaction gets sluggish (slow to move windows, etc)
Can you correlate that with any single program? Some programs may cause Xorg to misbehave. LibreOffice Calc was known to get Xorg all excited when stuff was selected; the "marching ants" outlining the selection were the cause.

If you provide information about your system (OS version, hardware, CPU, RAM, etc) someone could be more helpful.

startas
August 2nd, 2014, 07:24 PM
Well, i tried compton with xfce a few days ago, and it was a nightmare - compton is the worst wm or linux ever, i dont know how anyone can use it. The problem is, compton gives very ****** performance, it lags like hell, but nothing special is on, just very basic things like vsync, little shadows and simple animations. Without these things there would be no point in using compton, as it would be the same as no wm, but with these things everything lags like hell. Of course, i dont have a powerful pc (core i3, intel hd graphics, 4 gb ram), but there is no need for that, as it would be waste of computer anyway, same as need for a supercomputer to calculate 1+1.