PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] thunderbird and gmail

elim-qiu
August 1st, 2014, 08:21 PM
Since Gmail increased security measure (phone confirm code?), My thunderbird mail cannot connect to gmail anymore.

I tried delete the account and re-create one in thunderbird pointing to gmail, verify imap is enabled in gmail, but it keeps not working (says incorrect password!). So what I can do next?

Thanks for your help!

Elim

ajgreeny
August 1st, 2014, 08:40 PM
Has this only recently happened to you? My gmail is still working fine with TB, though I think I did give them a mobile telephone number a long time ago.

m_duck
August 1st, 2014, 08:50 PM
For programs (like Thunderbird) which can't use two-factor authentication, you'll need to set up an "App-specific password".

Go to your Google account settings and go to the security tab, then click settings next to app passwords. You can then make an app specific password with which to log into Thunderbird.

The nice thing is that these can be revoked individually, so if for example Thunderbird was on a computer you lost access to, you could revoke that password and it would no longer be able to access your account, whilst other programs you use would remain unaffected.

elim-qiu
August 1st, 2014, 09:21 PM
Thanks a lot m_duck! the App-specific password works very well:)