PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] asus vivotab note 8

ivo-welch
August 1st, 2014, 06:42 AM
has anyone managed to boot ubuntu (or any linux) natively [not virtualized] on an asus vivotab note 8?

it's one of the reasonably new and cheap windows 8 tablets (with digitizer).

jamessnell
October 9th, 2014, 05:02 AM
I'm very interested in this as well. I see no reason for it not to work, it's just another x86 machine. The main question I have is does X suck in the usual ways and how about the touch interface? Being a wacom, I wager it'll work out of the box. I'll be trying this when I finish saving my empties and finally order myself one of these bizarre little rigs. I'm also fantasizing about putting OSX86 and Windows 10 on one. Not to mention there are 128GB microSD options now. Yeah yeah, they claim the max capacity is 64GB, but that's the kind of thing that they decide based on what they've tested it with.

Vladlenin5000
October 9th, 2014, 10:21 PM
it's just another x86 machine.

Actually no, it isn't.
Intel® Atom™ Z3740 Quad-Core, 1.86 GHz is a 64-bit CPU for which too many vendors already bundled a 32-bit UEFI making things way harder than they should be, and that is just to boot the installation media, let alone everything else*.

* Expect certain devices to NOT work: Touchscreen, WiFi (requires SDIO support before it can be detected, then finding a working driver...), Bluetooth (for the same reason as WiFi), sensors, ...

jamessnell
October 9th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Actually no, it isn't.
Intel® Atom™ Z3740 Quad-Core, 1.86 GHz is a 64-bit CPU for which too many vendors already bundled a 32-bit UEFI making things way harder than they should be, and that is just to boot the installation media, let alone everything else*.

* Expect certain devices to NOT work: Touchscreen, WiFi (requires SDIO support before it can be detected, then finding a working driver...), Bluetooth (for the same reason as WiFi), sensors, ...

... Wow. I hope you're mistaken. Else my interest in the x86 platform just got sliced in half. It may be reasonable to boot other platforms by installing an alternate Windows bootloader, I have a specific one in mind but can't think of the name right now "BCD" being in the name. I guess efi could be navigable too. Heh, maybe we need a uboot port to x86 efi. (*vomits within mouth*)