PDA

View Full Version : Problem typing complex passwords in phone

linuxyogi
July 31st, 2014, 03:49 PM
Hi,

I use KeePassX to create 20 character long passwords. Yesterday I installed a Wi-Fi router at home so now my phone is also connected.

My phone is full touch screen but the screen is small and typing becomes very difficult.

Its becoming almost impossible to type those 20 random characters coz sometimes I am making a mistake and I am losing track of what I have typed so far coz as you know after a split second the character turns into a *

Everybody uses their Facebook and Gmail in both PC and phone so how do you deal with this situation ? Easy password ? Brain says no [-X

coldraven
July 31st, 2014, 10:18 PM
Just get the phone to remember the password but don't do it for any banking sites. My Moto G is always connected to Gmail so I get notifications when mail arrives.
Or get a bigger phone :)

mooreted
July 31st, 2014, 11:04 PM
I use LastPass. It integrates into Android so that it will automatically fill in the username and password for you.

linuxyogi
August 1st, 2014, 04:09 AM
I am waiting for Ubuntu phones. I wont waste money till then.

You people are lucky that you are using Android I am stuck with Java.

My Phone (http://www.flipkart.com/nokia-asha-501/p/itmdv6f5huyr5qp7?pid=MOBDHX4W57DEMADE&otracker=from-search&srno=t_1&query=nokia+asha+501&ref=0dd6a1af-fdf2-49d1-973a-0f4091bd8d5f)

When I purchased this phone the price was Rs 5000. Its a total loss. There are some Indian companies now selling Android phones staring at 5000. They are not that bad either. Only the battery life is a bit inferior I heard.

Thanks.

mooreted
August 1st, 2014, 05:47 AM
I see, bummer. I know typing on the on-screen keyboard is a pain.

mastablasta
August 1st, 2014, 09:17 AM
copy and paste the password?

there are some cheap android phones with descent screen, battery etc. available in china quite cheap. not high end or anything but they get the job done.

linuxyogi
August 1st, 2014, 09:48 AM
Reduced passwords of Facebook and Yahoo (Gmail was not working for some unknown reason) from 20 characters to 8 with KeepassX. Still using special characters so I guess the latest passwords are not that weak.

mooreted
August 1st, 2014, 02:32 PM
Length is actually more secure than special characters.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/06/password-complexity-rules-more-annoying-less-effective-than-length-ones/

linuxyogi
August 1st, 2014, 03:34 PM
Length is actually more secure than special characters.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/06/password-complexity-rules-more-annoying-less-effective-than-length-ones/

The only two logins that I need on my phone are Facebook and Yahoo Mail. Facebook as you know notifies user if the account is accessed from a new browser or a new location so if anybody breaks in I will get an email notification.

Gmail provides email notifications about suspicious activity. Once I was using a vpn service and my mail client was open. As soon as I terminated the vpn session I got an email from Google.

Does Yahoo Mail notifies of suspicious activity ? I will have to Google about that.

mooreted
August 1st, 2014, 11:44 PM
I'm not sure about Yahoo, but two-factor authentication is always good.

eriktheblu
August 3rd, 2014, 05:29 PM
I have a QR code in my house for WiFi login. Makes it quite easy to connect phones, tablets, etc.