PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Unable to add a local printer driver when using a Remote Printer

John_Lawton
July 31st, 2014, 12:22 PM
I have a small office with a Linux server which has a USB printer installed and a new workstation with a fresh install of Kubuntu 14.04.
The workstation detects the raw printer on my Linux server, calling it a 'Remote Printer'. This server printer is configured using Samba as a Windows printer with a RAW driver. My Windows clients work fine using their local printer driver for this printer (Dell 1320c).

I have installed a Linux printer driver on my workstation which works if I plug the printer in as a local USB printer. The problem is that the workstation Settings, Printer GUI tool, Configure button won't allow a printer driver to be added when using the Remote Printer on the server - the Driver selection is greyed out.

(BTW, I've tried the local CUPS server which doesn't help either, sending me off to the Linux server CUPS server, aargh!).

This hadn't been a problem on my previous workstation using an earlier version of Kubuntu. The SSD on that machine unfortunately became u/s (don't ask) so I can't access any configuration files from that now.

How to fix please, this is driving me nuts!!

John_Lawton
August 4th, 2014, 11:42 PM
Anyone? I'm currently unable to print and would really appreciate some help with this problem.

dangle42
August 5th, 2014, 02:15 AM
My first thought is that you will have to install it off a script. I had to use a .run file to install my hp drivers. I did a quick Google search. Did you try this?
http://zoffix.com/other/Installing-Dell-1320c-Color-Laser-Printer-on-Ubuntu

John_Lawton
August 5th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Yes, I have installed a driver, and it works if I plug the printer into the USB port. However I cannot select this driver when using the same printer connected to the Linux server, 'chef'. See the attached where the Driver selection box is greyed out.

http://lawton.me.uk/images/snapshot6.png

mikejjp
November 29th, 2014, 06:07 PM
I have a greyed-out printer "USB #2 with status readback for Canon IJ ..."