PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update Manager button for hardware update creates catastrophy

rob-bob-dave
July 31st, 2014, 03:31 AM
Hi, my update manager recently had a button that indicated the need for a hardware update, I believed it to be a driver update, which I initated. Things seemed to complete normally without any explosions, fire or plagues of locusts, or so I thought.
The next time I booted my computer, It did not complete the boot process and froze with a blank screen. I then powered off the computer and re-booted.
A grub boot screen with various options appeared: normal boot, or boot in recovery mode. I attempted normal boot only to freeze again. Boot in recovery mode performed and another option screen appeared. I chose "dpkg - repair broken packages" followed by "yes" and then "resume normal boot". This worked however the screen resolution was incorrect. After a restart, the screen resolution was correct and everything seemed normal. Any app I used worked correctly. However, the next time I booted I had to go through the same series of steps to get things working again. This worked a number of times until tonight where no matter what, I cannot correct the screen resolution. My feelings are, soon the computer will no longer operate.

Is there any way I can reverse the update manager's "hardware update"?