PDA

View Full Version : Updated Nvidia driver in Windows, Nothing works properly in Ubuntu

EricDallal
July 30th, 2014, 09:43 PM
I updated my Nvidia graphics driver in Windows, and now Ubuntu is completely screwed up. At first, there were problems with unity, nautilus, compiz, etc... Ubuntu took a very long time to show me the log-in screen, a long time to actually start after logging in, then I saw no desktop icons, no decorations around windows to minimize, close, etc..., and no unity bar. I've since managed to change to one of the Nvidia drivers in Ubuntu, I've reinstalled compiz and unity, but nautilus still doesn't work. When I tried clicking on home in unity, it flashed as if it was trying to load, and then did nothing. Trying to reinstall nautilus with sudo apt-get install --reinstall nautilus just gave me a bunch of errors:

Unpacking replacement nautilus ...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
Processing triggers for menu ...
Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0:i386 ...
Failed to read from file '/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gtk.Demo.gschema.xml': Input/output error
Failed to read from file '/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gtk.Settings.ColorChooser.gschema.xml': Input/output error
Failed to read from file '/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser.gschema.xml': Input/output error
Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0 ...
Failed to read from file '/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gtk.Demo.gschema.xml': Input/output error
Failed to read from file '/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gtk.Settings.ColorChooser.gschema.xml': Input/output error
Failed to read from file '/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser.gschema.xml': Input/output error
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up nautilus (1:3.4.2-0ubuntu9) ...

I then tried: sudo apt-get purge nautilus
and got the following:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
apturl-common apturl
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
gnome-session* nautilus* nautilus-sendto* nautilus-share* ubuntu-desktop*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
After this operation, 3,194 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
(Reading database ... 1437558 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing ubuntu-desktop ...
Removing gnome-session ...
Purging configuration files for gnome-session ...
Removing nautilus-share ...
Removing nautilus-sendto ...
Removing nautilus ...
Purging configuration files for nautilus ...
Processing triggers for gconf2 ...

Finally, I tried sudo apt-get install nautilus, and got:

Unpacking nautilus (from .../nautilus_1%3a3.4.2-0ubuntu9_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up nautilus (1:3.4.2-0ubuntu9) ...

Now the home folder button in the unity bar is not even there anymore. Please help me! Note that I am also getting errors upon starting Ubuntu.

EricDallal
July 30th, 2014, 09:59 PM
It's now even worse. I only have two options for starting Ubuntu now, the gnome, and gnome with no effects. Starting into gnome does nothing. It looks like it is trying to start, failing, and then going back to the log in screen. I was able to log in with no effects option, but when I started, I got an error:
The panel encountered a problem while loading "WnckletFactory::ShowDesktopApplet". Doyou want to delete the applet from your configuration?