PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade 12.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS

bardu
July 30th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Is there still no upgrade from 12.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS available?

TheFu
July 30th, 2014, 10:49 PM
I updated from 12.04.4 to 14.04 in June and again in July for a different machine. I'm in the USA. Different parts of the world get the update at different points based on their local repos, I hear.

You don't need to wait for the GUI to tell you this - you can force the 14.04 update (upgrade is a strong term).

Rob Sayer
July 31st, 2014, 01:23 PM
I think the release update should be available in Canada, which is where I'm typing this from, though Nova Scotia is as far as you can get from the Yukon.

Myself I don't use the Canada server for updates. I don't think it's quite as well maintained or as fast as the main server. But it's hosted at the university of Waterloo, and they're no slouches. I'd be extremely surprised if they didn't have the updates there. I just found it slow sometimes, especially weekends. Maybe their support goes downhill in the summer?

I changed the server setting in Synaptic package manager. I don't know where that setting is in the update manager because I've just updated with the terminal for a while. But it shouldn't be hard to find.

TheFu
July 31st, 2014, 02:15 PM
I changed the server setting in Synaptic package manager. I don't know where that setting is in the update manager because I've just updated with the terminal for a while. But it shouldn't be hard to find.

/etc/apt/ is where those settings are.

I would do this:
Make a know-I-can-restore backup - 100% know I can restore, then:

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
sudo do-release-upgrade
If any one of those steps fails, I would NOT continue before fixing the issue.

bardu
July 31st, 2014, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I got the 12.04 release from the Waterloo server. Unfortunetaly, this is my dev machine and due to workload I can't afford playing around and ending up with a mess. Guess I have to wait ...