PDA

View Full Version : Canonical Shop Shipping Cost?

holden87
July 29th, 2014, 04:40 PM
So...I wanted to order the laptop stickers from Canonical store, and I ran into a surprise, to put it mildly. The stickers cost under 2 pounds, and the shipping costs to an EU country by regular mail is near 8 pounds??
Can anything be done about that, because that kind of shipping costs are, in my opinion, ridiculous.

Bucky Ball
July 29th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Welcome. You'd be better off contacting Canonical directly as this forum has nothing to do with what you're asking.

I have the same problem with stuff US to Australia. Just not worth bothering. The shipping is often more expensive than the item I'm getting shipped!

neilsfarm
August 16th, 2014, 03:59 PM
I have just been trying to use the Canonical shop to buy a ubuntu 14.04 dvd (currently use 12.04). I was forced to create a unity account because they do not state shipping charges upfront. I did not want a unity account and after creating a unity account my purchase was wipped out and my system then began logging me out and closing browser sessions. I repeated this a second time after a cold restart. I did try the contact page at the canonical shop but my system again logged me out and closed my browser session (never had this happen before web browsing). I think this is a forum issue as Canonical is the shop front for Ubuntu and its success affects ubuntu usage and reputation. Cant say I am very impressed. Before anyone recommends downloading or upgrading via update..... I dont have adsl and my phone is limited to 400mb a day.

Elfy
August 16th, 2014, 04:52 PM
I was forced to create a unity account because they do not state shipping charges upfront. I did not want a unity account and after creating a unity account my purchase was wipped out and my system then began logging me out and closing browser sessions. Should be the same SSO account as you need for here.

As far as the shop is concerned, it certainly is nothing to do with us.

ian-weisser
August 16th, 2014, 07:12 PM
I think this is a forum issue as Canonical is the shop front for Ubuntu and its success affects ubuntu usage and reputation. Cant say I am very impressed. [...]I dont have adsl and my phone is limited to 400mb a day.

Well, disagree there.
I suspect most users don't even know that Canonical even has an online store, so it's impact on Ubuntu's reputation is likely small.

A more appropriate question for this forum might be "how can I download the 14.04 .iso in daily 100MB chunks?" and thereby avoid the store entirely and remain under your usage cap.
Personally, I would use wget for that. wget will resume downloads with the -c flag...and is already installed on your system.

coldraven
August 16th, 2014, 07:25 PM
If you buy a hat or a tee shirt the shipping will probably be the same as just for the stickers. So you will "save" money :)