PDA

View Full Version : Installing xubuntu alongside Windows 8.1 and availing of 8GB SSD cache

satan3
July 29th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Hello there,

just got a Dell Inspiron 7537 with 1TB hybrid hard disc and 8GB cache. I'd like to install Xubuntu alongside the Windows, with Xubuntu being used day to day and windows for once in a blue moon. So far i've shrunk the windows C drive down to a minimum using Disk Management.

I'm new to hybrid drives so I'm trying to find out if the SSD will be available to Ubuntu also, or do i have to mess with SSD drives partition (which i assume comes up as the 8GB OEM partition in Disk Management on Windows 8.1.

Maybe this is a stupid question but can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for the replies

Bucky Ball
July 29th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Welcome. You are installing Ubuntu and Win on a drive other than the SSD? There is no reason, in normal circumstances, the SSD won't be visible, readable and writable for Ubuntu. It would just be considered another drive, SSD/HDD would not be relevant. With a hybrid drive, this would still apply, but there might be some 'magic' that I'm unaware of with the way these work together (the SSD and the HDD).

If you have the SSD formatted with a partition, Ubuntu will see that partition (or whatever partitions are on it). The drive type not important ... normally. Maybe a hybrid drive guru will arrive and set things straight. Good luck. ;)

satan3
July 29th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Great! Thanks a million for your quick reply Bucky ball...

Bucky Ball
July 29th, 2014, 04:51 PM
As I say, not sure if there is some secret dance or throwing of salt over the shoulder you need to do because it's a hybrid, but this is the way things normally work. I have mixtures of SSD and HDD and no issue. But they're not 'hybrid' drives (and as far as I can surmise, a hybrid drive is an SSD and a HDD in the same case?).

As I say, no expert, but you could give it a try and find out what gives. :-k

(Backup any valuable data first, though. ;))