PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How do I keep EVINCE (Document viewer) from opening PDF files?

cigtoxdoc
July 29th, 2014, 03:09 PM
I use PDF Studio Pro 9 (an Adobe Acrobat equivalent for Linux) for my PDF documents. In 12.04, I uninstalled Evince. In 14.04, I cannot do that. How do I disable or whatever to keep Evince from opening PDF files?

John

uRock
July 29th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Right click a PDF, click Properties, go to Open With tab, select the preferred application, then click the Set as default button.

cigtoxdoc
July 29th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Thank you, but that doesn't do it. I need something that takes Evince out of the choices. I think I need to modify evince.desktop, but don't want to do that w/o some knowledge of what to do.
John

uRock
July 29th, 2014, 06:34 PM
I just ran sudo apt-get remove evince in a terminal and though it uninstalled the ubuntu-desktop package, it had no effect on the desktop system.

vasa1
July 30th, 2014, 03:19 AM
See
help.ubuntu.com/community/MetaPackages
and
www.mail-archive.com/lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net/msg03490.html (even though it's about Lubuntu)
to know more about metapackages.

I understand that deleting a metapackage such as ubuntu-desktop has no adverse effect except if you want to upgrade in situ to a new release rather than do a fresh install of a new release. Even then, you can just re-install ubuntu-desktop before the upgrade, upgrade, and then again delete whatever you want (including the ubuntu-desktop).

I usually "lose" lubuntu-desktop within a few minutes of a clean install.

############

Your other approach seems more interesting. If you never want Evince to open a pdf file, removing application/pdf from the MimeTypes= list in /usr/share/applications/evince.desktop (after backing up that file) may be worth trying. But I'm not sure that's the only thing that needs changing. Someone like mc4man will know the answer.

However, a more conventional approach would be to
right-click on the pdf file in your file manager
choose Open with ...
then point to the application of your choice (unless it's a Wine thing about which I know nothing)
and click "Set selected app as default" (or whatever your file manager says here)
oops .. already covered by urock

cigtoxdoc
July 30th, 2014, 03:47 AM
Thank you for your help. The folks at Qoppa Software, makers of the Studio Pro 9 software did not know about the bug I found in the studiopro9.desktop file. Next alternative is Adobe reader which installs under wine. That won't play nicely either. Modifying the evince.desktop file may be a good option.

John

vasa1
July 30th, 2014, 04:13 AM
... Modifying the evince.desktop file may be a good option.
I tried that briefly. Still opened with Evince. Why don't you just uninstall Evince?

cigtoxdoc
July 30th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Thank you to all. The answer is to remove evince as suggested by uRock.

John

zclock
September 11th, 2014, 01:16 AM
I want to do the opposite, I want to convert a.pdf to an editable file. Can this be done?

zclock
September 17th, 2014, 10:09 PM
Thank you all. I did solve my problem. It was quick a dirty... I simply selected all & pasted into a document (.odt) I didn't need the complex embedded objects(pictures) and the formatting was easy enough to recreate, Then I had an editable document.
I will try several of these and post back of there are relevance or preferred, I was making things more complicated than necessary.
Learning, relearning. Thanks.