PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Fail

ravenousj
July 28th, 2014, 11:07 PM
downloaded ubuntu 14 32bit. burned with k3b to dvd. booted from cdrom but as soon as i logged in, it just freezes. so i installed zorin 7 over that. worked fine. but decided to install zorin 8. after download was finished i was going to burn with k3b but it said size was different, so i checked hash with md5sum and it is different. i also checked ubuntu which i downloaded the night before, it was also wrong. what can i do to make this right? trying to install either ubuntu or zorin.

mikewhatever
July 29th, 2014, 12:01 AM
Zorin? Is that even related to Ubuntu?

...do not hesitate to ask, in case you actually have an Ubuntu related question.

yancek
July 29th, 2014, 01:38 AM
Zorin? Is that even related to Ubuntu?

Yes, it is.

http://zorin-os.com/

If the md5sum you run after the download of the iso file does not match what is shown on the download site, you are going to have all kinds of problems trying to install. The simplest way to avoid this is to download it again. There are all kinds of reasons this can happen and that is why they have the md5sum.

coffeecat
July 29th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Zorin is based on Ubuntu, but the main support areas of this forum are for Ubuntu and the official "flavours" only. If this thread turns into a Zorin support question, we'll have to move this to the Other OS section.

@ravenousj, yancek has given you the answer. In short, you need to check the md5sum of the downloaded ISO before you burn it to disk. If the md5sums do not match, discard the ISO. It is of no use to you.

mastablasta
July 29th, 2014, 09:02 AM
so i checked hash with md5sum and it is different.

That could cause sever issues on install.

what can i do to make this right?
Use torrents to download the file. Torrents do md5sum checks automaticly when chunks are downloaded. so when it finishes the download is good.