PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dpkg lock

avdiel1946
July 28th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Recently when I tried to upgrade the Ubuntu 14.04 OS, there appeared the error messages

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

How do I fix this. More importantly, what did I do to create this problem?

thank you....

ian-weisser
July 28th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Only one package manager (Software Center, Synaptic, Update Manager, aptitude, apt-get, dpkg, etc.) application can be in use at a time. You can have lots open, but only one can be in use and actively downloading/installing/uninstalling.
The system uses a lock file (/var/lib/dpkg/lock) to enforce which application can manage packages right now.

If you get the message, there are three possibilities:

A) Another application has the lock right now. Another package manager is still open or actively working. Wait for it to finish and close it.

B) On rare occasions you might get this message if Ubuntu is doing it's daily/weekly security updates in the background. Simply wait for it to complete. (mine take ~3-4 minutes each week)

C) On very, very rare occasions, your system crashed (or your did an unclean shutdown, or you lost power) while a package manager was operating and had the lock. Youmay need to manually remove the lock, and you may also need to repair your system.

How to fix it:

1) Waiting will almost always fix A) and B) without any further action needed.

2) Close all of your package-managing applications (Software Center, Synaptic, Update Manager, aptitude, apt-get, dpkg, etc.).
Then check to make sure you still don't have a package manager running.

Example:

$ ps -e | grep apt
24674 pts/4 00:02:06 apt-get
Uh-oh. In this example, apt-get is running! I should return to Step 1 and wait for it to finish.

3) If you are really sure that no other package manager is running, and that the lock is a mistake, you can remove the lock manually.
WARNING: Doing this while a package manager is trying to download/install/uninstall packages can BREAK YOUR SYSTEM!

$ sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock

avdiel1946
July 28th, 2014, 04:35 PM
apt-get is running with time; 107:05:41. Last update was yesterday. Cannot remove /var/lib/dkpg/lock. Same error messages.

ian-weisser
July 28th, 2014, 05:37 PM
The following will try to shut down apt-get gracefully.

sudo pkill -1 apt-get

Then check the ps command again to see if apt-get is still running.
If it is still running, try again with the -5 flag instead of the -1 flag.
If still running after that, try again with the -9 flag. -9 is the nuclear option - I don't use it lightly.

Once apt-get has stopped, try running a package manager function check.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
If there are package or system errors, then please post the complete terminal output here.

If you still get a lock error, then remove the lock manually (the previous warnings still apply!)

$ sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
And try the package manager function check again.

avdiel1946
July 29th, 2014, 03:45 PM
still cannot remove /var/lib/dpkg/lock. dpkg --configure -f seems to have fixed the problem. thanks for the help.