PDA

View Full Version : Only 13.10 works

jeffrey7
July 28th, 2014, 01:13 AM
A few months ago I built a HTPC and was planning to run Ubuntu. I could not get 14.04 to work, and finally gave in and ran 13.10. It's not perfect, but it worked. However, I was having major issues with XBMC freezing after any stream. I tried several stream services and changed what I could without success. It became such a pain that I decided to try and upgrade Ubuntu to 14.04 only to have it freeze up and make the system unusable.

Since I had to start over, I thought I would try XBMCbuntu. Any time I try to load anything other than 13.10, I get no results. I've tried both the USB and CD installs and nothing works except 13.10. I don't know if this is some kind of hardware issue or something I'm doing wrong. It's odd that the first time I tried 13.10 on a USB worked even though I must have tried XBMCbuntu half a dozen times, including once after 13.10 brought up the boot screen.

What are my options? There seems to be very little support since everyone has different hardware configurations. I'm not a complete waste of a tech geek, but I come from the world of Mac where things just work. (even my homebuilt Hackintosh) Are there any other stable builds that I can try? Should I just run 13.10 and try to fix XBMC and its streaming issues. This is frustrating for no reason.

MSi A88XI-AC
AMD A6 6400K APU
8GB RAM
4TB WD Green HDD and 120GB SSD

jeffrey7
August 6th, 2014, 12:32 AM
Apparently no one else has a clue either. I installed a fresh version of 13.10 and Ubuntu itself runs fine. However, the issue with XBMC persists. The only other issue I'm experiencing is that Ubuntu does not recognize the partition on my drive with all of my video files. I guess I'm on my own here.

ibjsb4
August 6th, 2014, 12:48 AM
13.10 has reached end of life. Its going to be hard to get support on something that is no longer supported.

If you must go back, 12.04 is supported till 2017.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

mastablasta
August 6th, 2014, 01:03 PM
I decided to try and upgrade Ubuntu to 14.04 only to have it freeze up and make the system unusable.

desktop or server? XBMC version?

AMD A6 6400K APU

Proprietary drivers installed on 14.04?

4TB WD Green HDD and 120GB SSD

SSD is for the OS, right?

btw I am not sure what you plan to do with the build but specs look like a bit of an overkill for XBMC.

jeffrey7
August 13th, 2014, 08:42 PM
I chose 13.10 since it was the most recent version that would boot on my hardware. Silly that 12.04 would be supported longer than 13.10. An adjustment I have to make using Ubuntu.

I did a fresh install of Ubuntu on the HDD and did away with the SSD. After getting XBMC manually updated to 13.1, it's running fine. It did freeze and crash the first two times I used XBMC, but seems to be running fine now. I'll slowly add add-ons and such and keep monitoring it. I will also need to resolve the issue of Ubuntu not recognizing my video files on a partition of the drive. I may have to reinstall all of them, as the fresh install of Ubuntu doesn't like the way I set up the partitions.

Lastly, the components I chose were so that I could have a good computer no matter the OS, and have room to upgrade in the future and possibly do some light gaming on. If this seems too much like overkill for me, I may just get a small streaming device and run my Hackintosh as a media server.