PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how do you send an app to another screen via right click on Unity taskbar?

tatsujb
July 27th, 2014, 07:23 PM
surely bit of code or a program must have been made by a hobbyist somewhere, for this? I can't be the only one this irritates.

say you have two screens. Unity bar on both. You run a fullscreen app one screen that app isn't one that requires the mouse to be locked to it, you may freely browse the web and music while you have it up.

Say you want to launch a new app on your second screen.

You click the unity icon, it launches, but on the same blasted screen you have the fullscreen app on! the way fullscreen works is that you can't minimise it and it's always on top.

sure you can see where it is whe switching between multiple windows of the same app you're trying to get to, but when you let go it still has the fullscreen app on top.

so you can't alt-tab to it, you can't minimise the fullscreen app to access it.

the thing that would be great was if you could move it around without the mouse/without having clicked on it, if you try click and dragging in desktop switcher view you risk crashing the fullscreen app and making sure the app was on the right screen when you last closed it is not necessarily the most viable option since you may have fond it more comfortable on the first screen when the fullscreen app wasn't running.

So the only thing I see and what seems obvious to me is right clicking on the app icon and in the list of possible choices, have "send to">"BenQ N°2", "send to">"Samsung N°1"

right?!?

did someone do this?

mcduck
July 27th, 2014, 10:20 PM
I'd just use Ctrl-Shift-Arrowkeys to move to another desktop together with the fullscreen app.

Although any decently made app (and definitely all the ones I've tried) should be able to handle both alt-tabbing and using Super-W to switch between applications.

The problem with having window control options in the right-click in the launcher panel is how to make it work in any sane way when you happen to have multiple windows of the same app open at the same time. You'd need to add a way to select (and identify) each individual window (which would probably result in all the same possible problems with badly made full-screen apps that you might get with the existing window management tools)