PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Caps lock impossible to get rid of

tad2
July 26th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Hello

I am trying to get rid of caps lock, to make it do nothing. I have followed the instructions for remapping keys in http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Configuring_keyboards#The_Xmodmap.2FSetxkbmap_Meth od and also read the advice and followed the instructions exactly as described in at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1218221&p=7675138#post7675138 (with appropriate modifications for the different keys).

But to no avail. If I let my finger wander over here I CAN SHOUT AT EVERYONE ALL DAY LONG. Apart from ripping the damn thing off, has anyone found a more reliable way of giving it such a lamping that it can never get up again?

Thanks

Tadeusz, oop north, England
Lubuntu 14.04 / LXDE

buzzingrobot
July 26th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Here's the way I do it in Unity. Don't use Lubuntu, though, so no guarantees.

1. Install dconf-editor and launch it.

2. Click on 'org' in the left panel, then, successively, 'gnome'->'desktop'->'input-sources'.

3. At 'input-sources', the window on the right will include an entry labeled 'xkb-options' followed by two brackets ('[]'). Put your mouse cursor between the brackets and enter this: 'caps:none'. Include the single quote marks. Hit the Enter key and you're done.

grumblebum2
July 27th, 2014, 03:04 AM
Adding to buzzingrobot's post, the entry I use in dconf is

['terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp', 'caps:none', 'shift:both_capslock_cancel']
Gives...

ctrl+alt+backspace to kill X
Caps Lock is disabled
Both Shift keys together activate Caps Lock, one Shift key deactivates

Options can be found in

man xkeyboard-config

tad2
July 27th, 2014, 05:59 AM
Thanks, but THAT DOESN'T WORK in Lubuntu.

Running xmodmap -e 'Keycode 66 = F8' (with or without the quotes) doesn't work either.

bapoumba
July 27th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Maybe here : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1782212&p=11419040#post11419040

egeezer
July 27th, 2014, 05:06 PM
There are two ways. The first is a quickie:

Make a Leafpad file:

!
! Swap Caps_Lock and Shift_L
!
remove Lock = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_Lock = Shift_

and save it as a hidden file called .nocaps, or .killock (any name, just needs the dot to designate a hidden file)

Then run

xmodmap /home/yourusername/.nocaps

The only problem with that is that each time you sign in you have to run it fresh, unless you can figure out how to get it into autostart (which I haven't found yet for the newest Lubuntu).

Since I couldn't get it to autostart, I used the second method:

Make a Leafpad file like this;

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "system-keyboard"
MatchIsKeyboard "on"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbOptions" "caps:none"
EndSection

And save it as
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-keyboard.conf

Log out, log in again, and you're in business.

tad2
July 28th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Maybe here : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1782212&p=11419040#post11419040

No, afraid not. Has no effect at all.

tad2
July 28th, 2014, 09:04 AM
There are two ways. The first is a quickie:

Make a Leafpad file:

!
! Swap Caps_Lock and Shift_L
!
remove Lock = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_Lock = Shift_

and save it as a hidden file called .nocaps, or .killock (any name, just needs the dot to designate a hidden file)

Then run

xmodmap /home/yourusername/.nocaps

The only problem with that is that each time you sign in you have to run it fresh, unless you can figure out how to get it into autostart (which I haven't found yet for the newest Lubuntu).

Yes! This method works -- thank you -- at last! I will now work on getting it to autorun at each session opening.
(The second line of the code sould read "keysym Caps_Lock = Shift_L")

Since I couldn't get it to autostart, I used the second method:

Make a Leafpad file like this;

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "system-keyboard"
MatchIsKeyboard "on"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbOptions" "caps:none"
EndSection

And save it as
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-keyboard.conf

Log out, log in again, and you're in business.

That one didn't work for me, but thanks for the first method.

bapoumba
July 28th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Glad to see you got it to work !
Please mark your thread as solved (under Thread tools), thanks.

tad2
July 28th, 2014, 12:11 PM
May I request it stays open for a little while, until I can find a way of starting the command at every session? I'm only halfway there :)

bapoumba
July 28th, 2014, 12:23 PM
May I request it stays open for a little while, until I can find a way of starting the command at every session? I'm only halfway there :)

Was not about to close it :)
When you are done, please remember to mark the Thread as solved, thanks !

tad2
August 3rd, 2014, 02:01 PM
Gave up and went back to a KDE desktop which has a simple GUI way of doing this in one click.

buzzingrobot
August 3rd, 2014, 02:43 PM
Odd. The xmodmap solution, as a one-line script made executable (chmod +x) and added to the list of startup apps, seems like the appropriate answer.

Lubuntu must have an app that edits startup applications? Otherwise, users are left to manually create .desktop files and add them to /etc/xdg/autostart or ~/.config/autostart.