PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] "??? ???" Error message at the 'Where Are You?' screen. Won't continue.

kendra2
July 26th, 2014, 03:09 AM
Hi there! I am new to the whole linux and ubuntu OS, and need some help.

My XP desktop recently stopped functioning for some reason (hardware is all good, got that checked out so I know it was software), and I decided it was time for something new. Based on suggustions, I chose Lubuntu because of it's relativly low demand on hardware (my desktop is at least 7 years old).

I used a laptop running windows7 to download the .ios file and put it onto a CD. I did check the file to make sure it was perfect after the download, and burned the disk at a slower speed than usual.
I put it in my desktop, and it opens with ease. However, installing the OS is not working. I am able to select how I want to install, and then it reaches there "Where are You" screen, and correctly selests the Los Angles area. But it wont go any further. A small error window pops up, with a grey stop sign of sorts. The only text on it is question marks, both title and message being "??? ???". The OK buttion does nothing to remove the message, and I can't close it either. Only way I can end it is by shutting down the computer.

Anyone have a solution? I did a search through some of the forums, but couldn't seem to find anything to help me.

kansasnoob
July 26th, 2014, 03:31 AM
Boot the live disc again and this time after selecting the language choose Check disc for defects. That will take several minutes to complete, but make sure it says "No errors found" when it completes.

kendra2
July 26th, 2014, 03:33 AM
Boot the live disc again and this time after selecting the language choose Check disc for defects. That will take several minutes to complete, but make sure it says "No errors found" when it completes.

I have wanted to do this, but the problem is, my keyboard does not activate until AFTER the language screen. This makes it impossible for me to select my language or do anything. I'm just lucky that English is the default. After 30sec or so, it goes with the default language and boot the OS.

kansasnoob
July 26th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Is it a USB keyboard?

If so you may need to enable legacy USB support in the BIOS.

Or use a PS/2 keyboard.

kendra2
July 26th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Is it a USB keyboard?

If so you may need to enable legacy USB support in the BIOS.

Or use a PS/2 keyboard.

It is a wireless keyboard with both a USB and a PS/2 connector.
I'll certianly check out the BIOS settings though, and attempt the other connection as well.