PDA

View Full Version : usb not working, mainly my fault?

boyo1991
July 25th, 2014, 08:12 PM
well i wanted to be able to have one usb stick to work for all my computers, so i dont have to choose 32bit vs 64 ect. so i went with 32 on a 64... as far as i know, this *should* work? you lose a little bit but gain versatility... at least that was my thought.

or is it that usb sticks just plain old arent very good at the write/read process? this one i got IS awefully cheap...

sorry for lack of info, but i thought i would throw this out and see if i need to dive deeper into it before gathering the info i need.

Bucky Ball
July 25th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Fairly vague. Do you mean you installed Ubuntu on a LiveUSB to boot on various computers? What exactly is the problem you're having? It is not clear, at least to me, sorry.

A USB install is going to be slower than hard drive and if you want to save anything you will need to save it to a hard drive unless you create a persistent install to the USB rather than just burning the installer image to it. Any drivers you install to the USB boot will be lost on reboot. Nowhere to save them.

boyo1991
July 26th, 2014, 12:43 AM
i want to install ubuntu 14.04 onto multiple machines, yes. and i know usb will be slower, but im beginning to wonder if its a 32bit vs 64bit problem. of course i could solve this by getting the 64bit version. will try tomorrow and see how that goes. the only reason i wanted to go with 32bit is so that if i get very slow machines i can still install it for say, my grandmother who usually runs machines into the ground.. i think shes only ever had one, and one copy of windows xp will not do forever.

gordintoronto
July 27th, 2014, 12:49 AM
What do you mean by "not working"? You do A and B and expect X, but something else happens?

I just installed 64-bit on a seven-year-old machine...

grahammechanical
July 27th, 2014, 02:13 AM
The decision regarding 32 bit or 64 bit is more to do with the architecture of the CPU than anything else. A USB memory stick with a 32 bit ISO image of Ubuntu burned to it should load in any machine if the BIOS has been set to boot from the USB port before it boots from the hard disk. A machine has to be very old to have a 32 bit CPU.

I think that the problem lies somewhere else than where you think it is. But as you do not tell us the problem. I do not see how we can help.

As regards machines with a low hardware specification then you should be looking at Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

Regards.

Bucky Ball
July 27th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Perhaps read the third link in my signature and get back to us with more detail. It is hard to help when there's not much. Good luck.