PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading 12.04 to 14.04 on DELL Vostro 3500 -- more problems

cigtoxdoc
July 22nd, 2014, 10:19 PM
Here is what the upgrade did on file structure:

It took /media/FolderA and /media/FolderB and then made /media/myname/FolderA and /media/myname/FolderB and then deleted the contents from /media/FolderA and /media/FolderB. Those later two foldera are partitions on the SSD.

Each of those folders have numerous subfolders and each of those folders have about 30 GB each of data.

i hope there is a rational explanation for what happened.

John

yancek
July 23rd, 2014, 12:00 AM
Are you saying that the files/directories under /media/myname/FolderA and FolderB are gone also?

i hope there is a rational explanation for what happened.

I have no idea why this was done but I'm sure there is an explanation somewhere, whether rational or not is probably a matter of opinion. The link below has a little info on it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutomaticallyMountPartitions

cigtoxdoc
July 23rd, 2014, 06:18 AM
Here is what upgrade to 14.04 did to file structure on SSD. It took /media/MyChemistry and made it /media/john/MyChemstry. The change also shows on gparted.

John

NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 223.6G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 126.6G 0 part /media/OS
├─sda2 8:2 0 1K 0 part
├─sda3 8:3 0 19.5G 0 part /media/john/MyChemistry
├─sda5 8:5 0 32.5G 0 part /media/john/MyDocuments
├─sda6 8:6 0 41G 0 part /
└─sda7 8:7 0 3.9G 0 part [SWAP]
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom

bapoumba
July 23rd, 2014, 08:09 AM
When installing, did you select these partitions, choose a mount point and untick the format box (ie say not to format) ? Did you have a separate /home, if so, did you use it as the new install /home ?
Please post the outputs to :

cat /etc/fstab
mount

cigtoxdoc
July 23rd, 2014, 02:50 PM
The original partitions were set by editing /etc/fstab using instructions I received on this forum. I have several other PCs setup the same way. On the upgrade, I took the "upgrade" option that was not suppose to mess with anything but the partition containing Ubuntu. See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2204340&highlight=fstab.

john@john-Vostro-3500:~$ cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

#Entry for /dev/sda6 :
UUID=186a60b4-1970-4676-8fa8-b3ab698fcfe1 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
#Entry for /dev/sda1 :
UUID=06550BF50F315FAE /media/OS ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
#Entry for /dev/sda7 :
UUID=7bef8b10-bd81-443f-9e54-4344aed9a799 none swap sw 0 0

john@john-Vostro-3500:~$ sudo mount
[sudo] password for john:
/dev/sda6 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
none on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /media/OS type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
systemd on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,none,name=systemd)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=john)
/dev/sda5 on /media/john/MyDocuments type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks2)
gvfsd-fuse on /root/.gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/sda3 on /media/john/MyChemistry type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks2)

How do I change /media/john/MyDocuments into /media/MyDocuments?

John

bapoumba
July 23rd, 2014, 03:52 PM
These two partitions are not in your fstab as they were before. When you mount them from the file browser, they end up in /media/<your_user>/
Any reason why you have not mounted them in fstab ?

oldfred
July 23rd, 2014, 03:58 PM
I think you were just using default mounts via Nautilus not fstab.

And with 12.04 the default mount was in /media. But in later versions and 14.04 it was changed to /media/$USER where $USER is your log in name.
Some complaints on why, but it seems to be for security that only the user should mount it.

cigtoxdoc
July 23rd, 2014, 04:09 PM
Thank you for your replies. Again, as I stated earlier, the partition s were mounted by editing fstab as per http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2204340&highlight=fstab. I have several other PCs setup the same way. On the upgrade, I took the "upgrade" option that was not suppose to mess with anything but the partition containing Ubuntu.

I have not yet put them back with fstab as I obviously would have made a mistake by not doing it with /media/$USER.

John