PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Missing Schema Error In Unity Tweak Tool?

bratromas
July 22nd, 2014, 06:40 PM
Hello, I am new to Ubuntu and, naturally, have been tinkering around with everything. I love Ubuntu 14.04, but I may have been a little careless while trying to make everything perfect. I just switched over from the KDE version of OpenSUSE, and was getting my Unity desktop to my liking until Unity Tweak Tool stopped working for some reason. I believe it's because I decided that I wanted to try Gnome 3 since the last few updates and mindlessly deleted some dependencies when I realized that I still didn't like it and removed it.

When I try to run Unity Tweak Tool, I get the following error:

$ unity-tweak-tool
Error: schema com.canonical.indicator.appmenu.hud not installed

I then tried to install the package needed, assuming it was accidentally deleted with:

$ sudo apt-get install indicator-appmenu

However, after reading the package lists and trying to install, the terminal reads back:

indicator-appmenu is already the newest version.

If anyone needs more information, please let me know. I understand that I didn't provide too much, but I have no idea about what else to provide.

Thanks ahead of time, and thanks for taking an interest in this thread. :)

Frogs Hair
July 22nd, 2014, 08:04 PM
Hello and Welcome

Try the following command to make sure you have all the Ubuntu desktop dependencies .
sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop

bratromas
July 22nd, 2014, 11:20 PM
First off, thank you for the reply and for being so welcoming. I tried the command and it didn't install any new packages for me. I guess I have all of the dependencies. I tried installing Gnome again earlier today and re-installed the Unity Tweak Tool, but I still have no avail. Maybe it's just a bug. Would you like me to try anything else, or should I go ahead and file a bug report?

Frogs Hair
July 23rd, 2014, 12:33 AM
Installing or removing Gnome shouldn't affect the Tweak Tool if it was from the software center, however if it was from a ppa then there could be dependency issues . The Gnome Shell has the Gnome Tweak tool and is specific to the shell and UT is specific to Unity.

bratromas
July 23rd, 2014, 01:21 AM
Installing or removing Gnome shouldn't affect the Tweak Tool if it was from the software center, however if it was from a ppa then there could be dependency issues .

I installed a newer version of Gnome from this repo:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnome3-team/gnome3/ubuntu

mc4man
July 23rd, 2014, 03:12 AM
"Error: schema com.canonical.indicator.appmenu.hud not installed"
try installing the schema to see if it's installed, ect.

sudo apt-get install hud

bratromas
July 23rd, 2014, 01:51 PM
try installing the schema to see if it's installed, ect.

sudo apt-get install hud

This worked great! The tweak tool is working again as it normally did. I don't know how I managed to remove hud from my computer, but I did and I had no idea. I'll mark this thread as solved immediately. :p

Thanks to both of you. I learned a lot from all of this.