PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Boot on a Toshiba Satellite Laptop

UnDeaD_AmP
July 22nd, 2014, 08:12 AM
So I'm currently trying to dual boot Ubuntu 14.04 with Windows 8.1, and umm... it says Free space entirely when i try to make another install option, not detecting my copy of Windows 8.1. Help? I'm booting from Ubuntu installation from a DVD-r.

sudodus
July 22nd, 2014, 08:25 AM
Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums :-)

Installing operating systems is risky. You should backup everything important before the installation, because things can go wrong.

-o-

Please use Something else at the partitioning screen.

Don't go ahead until you can recognize Windows 8! Please read the documentation according to this link and links from it. In particular, read about UEFI in post #2

Try Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, ...) before installing it (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2230389)

TDully
July 22nd, 2014, 12:15 PM
More info as to which laptop/Harddrive/cpu/ would be nice.

Now, Are you able to boot to win8.1at all? IF SO.. I can either point you to the guide or tell you I have done on my Toshiba P55!
(in my case I did some things maybe backwards, however, I am full dual bootable from either Ubuntu or win8.1, which now has a very small Partition)

One big thing is to get it STOCK win8.1 (of course have all your up dates)..Second Double check that you have a Recovery (sometimes the USB's are actually not bootable, so when you make it, triple check that it will work)
When that is done, then... we can show/tell ryou thr proper way to be able to have both Ubuntu & Win8.1.1 on your laptop ! The above is extremely IMPORTANT!!
OH... one of tib~bit, is when you start to do this (dual~boot) w/Win 8.1, Ubuntu needs to be the same running system (e.g. 386 or 64) and you need either unallocated speace on the drive, or already partitioned to the correct format for Ubuntu

Start there, and let us know more info on what you are dealing with (laptop specs) OH..one more tip> if you have Win 8.1 your or using EFI, and Ubuntu must be installed the same way. (has been some confusion on that, and yes, Ubuntu 14.04 work with Secure Boot and EFI)....
tanx