PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Next update to Wireshark package for Ubuntu?

mrjadeo
July 21st, 2014, 07:47 PM
Hi all

I run Ubuntu 14.0.4 and came across a bug in Wireshark that has apparently been fixed in Wireshark 1.10.8+.
The latest version for Ubuntu is 1.10.6, in Debian (Jessie & Sid) it's 1.10.8-1.

Does anyone know (or can tell me how to find out) when this package will be brought into line with Debian?
Should I register my "interest" in getting this updated somewhere?

For the moment I guess I will have to install from source, or not use the broken feature.

Thanks!

James

monkeybrain20122
July 21st, 2014, 08:11 PM
The .debs are here https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wireshark/1.10.8-1/+build/6108373
However some dependencies are not satisfied. I think you can get those in 14.10's archives as well but I don't have time to hunt them down and mess with them. If you figure it out post back please.

grahammechanical
July 21st, 2014, 08:49 PM
The Utopic Unicorn Software Centre has Wireshark 1.10.7-4

It is possible that this upgraded version will come with the release of 14.04.1 on July 24th.

Regards.

monkeybrain20122
July 21st, 2014, 11:45 PM
Well it turns out to be very easy to compilefrom source (I was expecting some dependency issues, but the dependency problems apparently only arise with debian's build)

sudo apt-get build-dep wireshark
sudo apt-get install checkinstall

Down load the source code tar ball from http://www.wireshark.org/download.html
untar, cd into the source folder (say ~/Downloads/wireshark-1.10.8)

cd Downloads/wireshark-1.10.8
./configure --prefix=/usr
make -j4
sudo checkinstall

That's it. "make -j4" uses 4 threads, change "4" to the number of threads you use
checkinstall would prompt you for different info, just follow the steps, in the end it will create a .deb file and install it. You can remove it from the package manager (e.g synaptic) if need to.

wireshark installed this way has no .desktop file, you have to start it from the terminal by typing "wireshark" (without quotations) I haven't checked if everything works yet, I have only done the installation and have started successfully.

mrjadeo
July 22nd, 2014, 06:49 PM
Thanks Monkeybrain!

I've been offline for a bit, but installed the 14.10 proposed package (with broken dependencies) and my problem (starting flow graphs causes Wireshark to exit) disappeared.
I uninstalled it again though, because otherwise apt complains and it's not the right solution.

I'll have a go at installing from source "soon".