PDA

View Full Version : 2 problems with Ubuntu

john267
July 21st, 2014, 12:55 AM
First, on my desktop. I just installed a brand new hard drive, and when i go to install Ubuntu, it tells me there is not enough disk space. Could there be a problem w/ installation disk or what?

Second, on my laptop. after installing ubuntu as a second OS, i get an error "no such partition. entering recovery mode__grub recover"

any help with both of these problems would be appreciated

(am on this website through the option to "try ubuntu"

yancek
July 21st, 2014, 01:28 AM
First, on my desktop. I just installed a brand new hard drive, and when i go to install Ubuntu, it tells me there is not enough disk space. Could there be a problem w/ installation disk or what?

Are you sure you have selected the correct hard drive? Which installation method did you select? You should have at least three if you have an operating system on the computer, Alongside, Erase and Something Else.

The second error on your laptop means it is trying to access a partition on a drive which either doesn't exist or isn't available. Do you still have both drives attached?

slooksterpsv
July 21st, 2014, 01:30 AM
1) Have you partitioned or formatted the new drive? Also is the drive a SSD (Solid State Drive)? How are you attempting to install it? Is there anything else on the drive?

2) How did you install Ubuntu on this laptop? Alongside? Something else? Where was GRUB installed to, if you remember. If you can boot from the live CD and run boot repair (just grab the information), that'd help us out.

Now for both, do either of these use UEFI?