PDA

View Full Version : "spin the wheel"

edeneen
July 20th, 2014, 02:59 AM
back when I was working as a bench tech I always used to say that when I did a restart, "spin the wheel"
like in the chuck 'o luck game of chance...

mooreted
July 20th, 2014, 04:52 AM
Bust a deal, face the wheel.

at_first_light
July 20th, 2014, 05:30 AM
I don't know any catchy phrases for rebooting; I just click the button and wait. Next time I reboot I'll have to try it out, and see how the other half lives.

PJs Ronin
July 20th, 2014, 01:56 PM
'hit the BRS'

(back in the day the original IBM PCs had a big red switch on the back of the power supply)

mooreted
July 20th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Booting is when you kick the computer. Rebooting is when you kick it again.

stalkingwolf
July 20th, 2014, 06:42 PM
hit the button and let the cauldron bubble

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 20th, 2014, 09:56 PM
I remember some 15 year old computers where I once worked. If they had to be rebooted, or the power went out, it was "a roll of the dice" whether the disks would spin back up or not. We retired the old things a few years before I retired.

edeneen
July 21st, 2014, 01:21 AM
I remember some 15 year old computers where I once worked. If they had to be rebooted, or the power went out, it was "a roll of the dice" whether the disks would spin back up or not. We retired the old things a few years before I retired.

I once went on a service call at an airport, the security staff had an AT&T computer (the only one I have EVER seen).
It was huge and heavy...
It ran non-stop 24/7 for over 13 years without failure.

waterlubber
July 24th, 2014, 04:07 PM
I once went on a service call at an airport, the security staff had an AT&T computer (the only one I have EVER seen).
It was huge and heavy...
It ran non-stop 24/7 for over 13 years without failure.
My eMachines laptop has been running non-stop for about 1 1/2 years w./o failure. :D Aside from the occasion when Windows decided to re-kick itself or when I needed to clean the cooling fans. I wouldn't dare let my gaming PC-run, my parents would rage about the power bill. XD