PDA

View Full Version : are you often around people who use mac, or who use windows ?

fkkroundabout
July 18th, 2014, 12:01 PM
just wanted to know if linux people have any disposition to being around people who use windows, or people who use mac. like you'd have to do a large survey to really gain a good understanding, but yeah

edit: my best friend uses windows, as do my customers. but my family, more distant friends, and even dates (??), tend to use mac. i don't know any linux users personally :(

coffeecat
July 18th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Some of my best friends use Windows or MacOS. They're still my best friends! :wink:

d-cosner
July 18th, 2014, 12:39 PM
My Wife uses Windows. In her defence though, she plays a game that will only run well under Windows. :)

Navneet_Kumar
July 18th, 2014, 12:55 PM
No disposition........as most of my friends are also on windows and Mac..........May the sorce help them....>:P

edeneen
July 18th, 2014, 02:18 PM
I am such a proponent of Linux, you should see my car; it has a Linux front plate on it, a Linux Euro and a linux bumper sticker in back. I love it when people ask me, "what is linux?" So far I have only rescued a few from the cult of Windows...

belarrius
July 18th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Me, my parents, my cousin, my best friend and another friend use Ubuntu without dual boot :guitar:And we are proud!

But my other family and other friend use windows and mac :/ I'm a gamer and my friend/best friend also. We play with Steam, Spring RTS, etc...

pretty_whistle
July 18th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Everyone around me uses Windows. :o I dont know what to say to them.......... My aunt got a worm recently and she hired a tech to fix it. I didnt say anything but could have..........Windows.........yuk.

/ADM
July 18th, 2014, 03:38 PM
My wife uses a Mac and personally I enjoy using it too and sure I use Windows at work. I like using all three of them (but Linux more) :P

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 18th, 2014, 09:50 PM
I do not have a disposition to being around people who use any particular OS. I have friends and family that use Windows, Mac, and Linux.

An operating system is a tool to get things done just like a hammer, drill, saw, screwdriver. etc. I don't care what brand of hammer, drill, saw, or screwdriver, etc. they choose to use. What matters to me is that they use the one that work best for them.

bashiergui
July 19th, 2014, 01:01 AM
Most of my friends couldn't give two tosses about their OS. They just want devices that work. And that's a good thing for me, keeps me from over-obsessing about tech things. I need the reminder that there is more to life than 0s and 1s.

I understand how Linux functions reasonably well. I'm hoping to study Windows internals soon. The differences between Linux and Windows fascinates me. And now that powershell is a main part of Windows, it's a bit easier for me to wrap my head around how Windows is functioning.

I know it's popular to hate on Windows, but Linux fans should really spend a few minutes with powershell. It's linuxy. You won't hate it ;)

jeehyun
July 19th, 2014, 05:46 AM
All use windows 7 or 8. Nothing special. Nobody think about desktop OS. Instead they sometimes argue samsung vs apple.

jerrylamos
July 19th, 2014, 06:11 PM
My wife uses Win 7 to support a couple web sites that use proprietary web software not available on linux.

Win 7 and Office 2010 are able to copy a complex web pages with mixed text and pictures and then insert into a web document looking just like the original. Libre Office and Open Office get things jumbled up does not look like the original. For that matter, IBM's office suite Lotus Symphony does a poor job also.

She still has an XP she uses for utility.

Younger daughter uses Mac laptop and son uses Mac desktop by preference. When my wife and I try to use his Mac we're always missing keys like Alt, Ctrl, Backspace, Tab, .... His mac small keyboard has a couple keys doing part of the functions, which we've not learned to use yet.

I'm using mostly unstable Ubuntu in development on netbook, notebook, desktop usually something is broken. I sample other linux versions from time to time.

Oh, I've got a chromebook also. I originally thought about putting ubuntu on it, however it works just fine as is, except limited resolution support for external monitor.

Touch screen, Nook HD+ is O.K. for output lousy for input. I touch type. And where's the mouse with its much more precise point than my big fingers.

Erik1984
July 19th, 2014, 09:24 PM
It's the other way around, I'm about the only one using Linux in my circle of family and friends. Operating systems are often not a topic of discussion :P

deadflowr
July 21st, 2014, 06:23 PM
Most people I know nowadays have Windows, or Mac machines.
But the main OS' is either ios, or android.
The windows and macs are rarely in use anymore.

But it is a win-win for me, cause I get the old machines when they decide to ditch 'em.

david253
July 21st, 2014, 08:22 PM
I am using windows7 and now also looking into ubuntu too. Wife still has vista!!!!

lisati
July 21st, 2014, 08:32 PM
PC? Mac? Something else? How much does it really matter? There's some basic education that needs to be done: I've met people who have to use Google or Bing to get to Facebook, and who refer to the system unit as a hard drive.

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 21st, 2014, 10:34 PM
Most people I know nowadays have Windows, or Mac machines.
But the main OS' is either ios, or android.
The windows and macs are rarely in use anymore.

But it is a win-win for me, cause I get the old machines when they decide to ditch 'em.

Unfortunately for me, a lot of the machines they discard are the old Frankenstein machines I cobbled together from parts and gave them. The machines are no longer worth the effort.

:lolflag:

monkeybrain20122
July 22nd, 2014, 12:11 AM
Many people around me these days use Mac (more than Windows even) but only for things like watching videos, internet and word processing. They spend around 1500 CAD on the mac while a second hand laptop < 150CAD with xubuntu would be more than adequate for their needs. Some people have money to burn. :)

QIII
July 22nd, 2014, 12:39 AM
I use Windows all the time.

Am I violating the Linux rules? Not sure I got any memo about using one or the other.

Is that kinda like having ebola or leprosy or something?

Irihapeti
July 22nd, 2014, 12:46 AM
I use Windows all the time.

Am I violating the Linux rules? Not sure I got any memo about using one or the other.

Is that kinda like having ebola or leprosy or something?

+10

I want stuff that works. What that stuff is depends on what I'm doing at the time. I'm not interested in signing up for an ideology.

craig10x
July 22nd, 2014, 01:40 AM
@QIII: yes...you HAVE violated the linux rules...you will be receiving your summons in the mail! ;) :D

bashiergui
July 22nd, 2014, 01:55 AM
Reminds me of this

Apple now supports Windows

Mike_McHrl
July 23rd, 2014, 08:25 PM
Almost always windows. 99% of the time. I was shocked Macs were so popular, as I started with windows and always preferred it, despite the negative comments on it.

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 23rd, 2014, 10:30 PM
Just for fun I listed the people I know in a spreadsheet, and tabulated what OS they use on their tablet/laptop/notebook/desktop computer. I excluded what they use at work because many times you have no control over what you use at work. I also excluded smart phones as that is often controlled by their wireless phone company. This is what I came up with:

11.1% Mac
66.7% Windows
22.2% Linux

As my sig suggests, I don't really care what they use as long as it works for them. The only reason I know what they use is because I have helped them solve problems, helped them to connect to my home network, or they are fans of a particular device.

edeneen
July 24th, 2014, 02:32 AM
I worked as a service tech, A+ certified and I was working on Apple cerification, let me tell you from personal experience; heavy Mac users are a strange breed LOL. I loved that line "Macs don't crash, Macs don't freeze, the Mac OS is perfect" yeah sure... if that were true why did you call me in ?

edeneen
July 24th, 2014, 02:39 AM
okay please indulge me, I like service tech tales. I once did a call on an Apple printer, never saw that model before in my life but I studied the service manual the night before when the ticket came. So I learned this weird test; you pull out the paper tray, reached up inside it and held down two sensors, then you hit the power button and it gave you a beep and light code to self-diagnose. So I never met this customer, I walk in, stick my hand in it and just tellhe guy, "you need a power board, it's a $250 part" He doubted me at first, I took no offense, but he probably did research or got a second opinion, the next week he called me and said, "you were right, order the board". I lived for moments like that, man.

waterlubber
July 24th, 2014, 03:50 PM
All the time. They say that Linux is for smart people. I say, "You're not smart?" They are too scared to try Ubuntu, Mint, etc., when they have become extremely user-friendly, even morso than Windows. It makes me sad to see people using IE and Windows. ALL the time I hear them complain that they have viruses, etc. I look at their IE: There are toolbars halfway down the screen. Here's my opinion on Windows:

With the recent problems being encountered by Windows users all across the country, people are begin to ask themselves if windows is a virus. In response to the high demand for an answer to that question a study was done and concluded the following.

1. Viruses replicate quickly.
Windows does this.

2. Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as they do so.
Windows does this.

3. Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk.
Windows does this.

4. Viruses are usually carried, unkown to the user, along with valuable programs and systems.
Windows does that too.

5. Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware.
Same with Windows, yet again.

Maybe Windows really is a virus.

Nope! There is a difference!

Viruses are well supported by their authors, are frequently updated, and tend to become more sophisticated as they mature. So there! Windows is not a virus.