PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Can't Seem to Fully Change Lubuntu Theme

redbikemaster
July 17th, 2014, 02:41 AM
So, I recently decided I was sick of the default Lubuntu theme. I found a really nice looking theme that I love, and I switched the mouse cursor to one named Pulse Glass. Unfortunately, the new cursor only shows when I'm in Chrome or Steam. It shows the default system cursor on the desktop and panels. How do I fix this?

Also, I want to change the theme of the login screen, but I haven't been able to figure that out.

Pics:

Dennis N
July 17th, 2014, 03:33 AM
Getting Cursor to Work Everywhere:

The cursor folder must be in /usr/share/icons

First, we install it to the alternatives system:

dmn@Roxanne:~$ sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme x-cursor-theme /usr/share/icons/Pulse-Glass/cursor.theme 20
Then we configure alternatives to make it the default. Follow the instructions at the bottom of the output from this command.

dmn@Roxanne:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
Then, in Preferences > Customized Look and Feel > Mouse Cursor tab > select Pulse-Glass and click the Apply Button.
Log Out and Back In.
Finished.

I tested this cursor and it is working everywhere.

Dennis N
July 17th, 2014, 03:39 AM
I got the idea from reading the description that this thing is supposed to "pulse"? Mine doesn't, so that part doesn't work.

Edit: Yes, it does pulse. I had it over a white background and didn't see the pulsing, since the pulse color is also white.

vasa1
July 17th, 2014, 04:39 AM
@Dennis N, do you have any qt apps installed and does the method you describe work for qt apps or is it restricted to gtk apps?

Also, even for gtk apps, is the I-bar (the cursor in text insertion mode)more or less visible than the default Lubuntu theme cursor?

And, from where do we get this Pulse Glass cursor theme? Is it from http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/?content=124442 ?

Dennis N
July 17th, 2014, 05:28 AM
do you have any qt apps installed and does the method you describe work for qt apps or is it restricted to gtk apps?
All cursors are for the X window system, so as long as that is still in use it should work - qt or gtk shouldn't matter with respect to the cursor.

is the I-bar (the cursor in text insertion mode)more or less visible than the default Lubuntu theme cursor?
the default is DMZ-white, so I think the Pulse-Glass is more visible.

And, from where do we get this Pulse Glass cursor theme? Is it from http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/?content=124442 ?
That's the one.

Just to be clear, it's not the cursor I have been using and I don't plan to change - I just tried it out of curiosity to test and see what it looked like. I will keep it for a while, however. It's not bad at all. The ones I use are called Flatbed Cursors of which there are several sizes and colors in the package.

Dennis N
July 17th, 2014, 05:33 AM
Also, I want to change the theme of the login screen, but I haven't been able to figure that out.

What about the login screen appearance would you want to change?

vasa1
July 17th, 2014, 05:43 AM
All cursors are for the X window system, so as long as that is still in use it should work - qt or gtk shouldn't matter with respect to the cursor.
Thanks!

I tried it out and you're right about it working with both qt and gtk. Looks nice but I've switched back to the default.

redbikemaster
July 18th, 2014, 06:27 AM
What about the login screen appearance would you want to change?

I want the default Lubuntu theme to be the ShadowPlay theme I made everything else. Why, in the app "Customize Look and Feel" is it under "Widgets"?

Working on the cursor now. Thanks for the help.

OK, cursor is fully working now. That is awesome! Thanks again. Now to get the Login screen to have the theme I want.

vasa1
July 18th, 2014, 06:38 AM
.... Why, in the app "Customize Look and Feel" is it under "Widgets"?
That's what gtk themes are called in "Customize Look and Feel". I don't know why :)

redbikemaster
July 18th, 2014, 06:45 AM
Just wanted to make sure I didn't foul it up. Good.

JohnnyComeL8ly
July 18th, 2014, 10:09 PM
Customize Look and Feel keeps crashing while I am removing Pulse-Glass (it still isn't removed). It also crashed while installing it (Idk why). Here's the terminal output:
john@OptiPlex-GX270:~$ lxappearance
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
john@OptiPlex-GX270:~$

I don't know how to fix it, but I have a feeling that something could be found wherever the "core dumped," right?

P.S. I thought this was sticking to the topic, if however it didn't, tell me, please.
P.P.S. In case anything would indicate otherwise, it is a mouse theme. And I got it to work, but I want it removed.

redbikemaster
July 18th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Customize Look and Feel crashed for me too, but since I just wanted to install Pulse Glass, and it did that successfully, I paid it no mind.

JohnnyComeL8ly
July 21st, 2014, 10:15 PM
@redbikemaster
I figured out how to fix it, you delete
/home/user/.icons/Pulse-Glass/I know it could have caused problems; however, the Trash just moves the file for deleting, so I knew I could have restored it.
I found out on accident, i.e., I'm not the genuis I want to be... maybe in time. ;)

Dennis N
July 22nd, 2014, 04:37 AM
Customize Look and Feel keeps crashing while I am removing Pulse-Glass (it still isn't removed). It also crashed while installing it (Idk why)

You encountered a long standing bug (at least 2 years old):
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxappearance/+bug/952997

Although as redbikemaster said, it does "install" before crashing. I think the installer on Customized Look and Feel copies your cursor folder into ~/.icons. You need it in /usr/share/icons to do the complete install in post #2. You don't really need it in ~/.icons

As JohnnyComeL8ly found, to remove a cursor, you can just delete its folder. Log out and back in and it won't show up anymore as a choice. But don't remove the one you have been using until you change it to another.

JohnnyComeL8ly
July 23rd, 2014, 08:10 PM
Hmm, I guess it's not that important to them (devs) to fix it. Probably priorities are there restricting what is developed.

Thanks for the warning on removals.