PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mount multiple folders into one [Ubuntu SMB Server, Windows Client]

hashworks
July 16th, 2014, 07:30 AM
I'm currently trying to mount my movie/tv folders in one folder so I can share it to windows clients using the smbd.

My first approach was:

cd /home/hashworks/Share/Series/; # Samba folder
find -type l -delete;
ln -s /media/hashworks/WDRED1/Series/* ./;
ln -s /media/hashworks/WDRED2/Series/* ./;
ln -s /media/hashworks/WDRED3/Series/* ./

cd /home/hashworks/Share/Movies/; # Samba folder
find -type l -delete;
ln -s /media/hashworks/WDRED4/Movies/* ./;
ln -s /media/hashworks/WDRED5/Movies/* ./

Which works on Linux and Windows Clients, but needs to be executed every 10 minutes to keep track of new folders - resulting in respinning 5 HDDs every 10min.

Another approach was using AUFS:

mount -t aufs -o br=/media/hashworks/WDRED4/Movies/=RW:/media/hashworks/WDRED5/Movies/=RW -o create=pmfs -o sum none /home/hashworks/Share/Movies/
mount -t aufs -o br=/media/hashworks/WDRED1/Series/=RW:/media/hashworks/WDRED2/Series/=RW:/media/hashworks/WDRED3/Series/=RW -o create=pmfs -o sum none /home/hashworks/Share/Series/

This solves the respin-problem and works fine when Linux Clients access the samba folder. Windows clients fail, through (something like "Wrong handler"). Same with unionfs-fuse.

Any ideas?

vanadium
July 16th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Symbolic links may work only locally, and not when accessed over a share. Try to "mount bind" the directories. That way, they appear as physically mounted folders, and will exhibit no problem over a share.

hashworks
July 16th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Symbolic links may work only locally, and not when accessed over a share.

Symbolic links work in my whole local network without problems. This method will respin the HDD's every 10min, through.

vanadium
July 16th, 2014, 11:51 AM
On closer inspection of your problem, mount bind will not be applicable. This allows to access only one directory from another location, whereas you want the contents of multiple directories to be accessible from a single location. I found a similar idea here (http://www.kossboss.com/linux---virtually-merge-multiple-folders-with-symlinks-or-hardlinks-with-cp-command), but it is no better or worse than your approach.