PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] fglrx failed with DKMS

Pazau
July 15th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Hey all.

I have tried over several days to install the ATI drivers 13.1 on a machine with Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit and a ATI Radeon HD4890 without it so far succeeded.

I have read a hell lot of guides around the web with no luck, so now I try here.

A lot af guides told me to install the dependencies first:

sudo apt-get install dbs fakeroot build-essential dh-make debconf execstack dh-modaliases debhelper dkms libqtgui4 libstdc++6 libelfg0 unzip ia32-libs-multiarch i386 lib32gcc1 ia32-libs libc6-i386

Then I download the driver manually and install.

I get the first error that
/usr/lib/modules/<kernel_number>/build/include/linux/version.h is missing - resolved by copying the file from
usr/include/linux/

First problem solved.
Next: The 'famous' DKMS error

From fglrx-install.log:

Check if system has the tools required for installation.
Uninstalling any previously installed drivers.

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.97.100.7/source ->
/usr/src/fglrx-8.97.100.7

DKMS: add completed.

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel. Skipping...

Building module:
cleaning build area....
cd /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.97.100.7/build; sh make.sh --nohints --uname_r=3.11.0-24-generic --norootcheck.....(bad exit status: 1)
[Error] Kernel Module : Failed to build fglrx-8.97.100.7 with DKMS
[Error] Kernel Module : Removing fglrx-8.97.100.7 from DKMS

------------------------------
Deleting module version: 8.97.100.7
completely from the DKMS tree.
------------------------------
Done.
[Reboot] Kernel Module : update-initramfs

The driver does not support kernel higher than 3.2.* and X.org higher than 1.12.

These requirements are met:

X.Org X Server 1.11.3
Release Date: 2011-12-16
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Current Operating System: system_name 3.11.0-24-generic #42~precise1-Ubuntu Fri Jul 4 21:22:54 UTC 2014 x86_64

I have tried installing the driver by packaging .debs via this guide:
http://www.upubuntu.com/2013/01/amd-catalyst-display-driver-131-adds.html

The installation succeeds with no erros; However, the fglrx module won't load, and
fglrxinfo gives me an BadRequest error.

I have now hit a wall.

Some suggestions to get the driver to install?

Thanks in advance!
- Nicolas

slooksterpsv
July 15th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Kernel version UP TO 3.4 is support only. You'll either need to find a 3.4 kernel and downgrade to it or just use the xorg drivers that are installed by default. AMD dropped support pretty quickly for some of those graphics cards.

Mark Phelps
July 15th, 2014, 05:55 PM
and a ATI Radeon HD4890 without it so far succeeded.

Sorry, but you're not going to have success doing that -- because AMD dropped fglrx support for their HD 4x-series cards last summer. The latest Ubuntu version that can use the fglrx drivers compatible with your card is version 12.04.1. Newer Ubuntu versions come with an X-server that is incompatible with the HD 4x-series fglrx drivers.