PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New hardware support is available

cigtoxdoc
July 13th, 2014, 08:40 PM
I just received notice from Update manager that new hardware support is available (Dell Vostro 3500 running 12.04.3 64-bit). However, when I attempt update, I get:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-trusty: Depends: libglapi-mesa-lts-trusty (= 10.1.3-0ubuntu0.1~precise1) but 10.1.3-0ubuntu0.1~precise1 is to be installed
Depends: libx11-6 (>= 2:1.4.99.1) but 2:1.4.99.1-0ubuntu2.2 is to be installed
Depends: libxdamage1 (>= 1:1.1) but 1:1.1.3-2build1 is to be installed
xserver-xorg-lts-trusty: Depends: xserver-xorg-core-lts-trusty (>= 2:1.11) but 2:1.15.1-0ubuntu2~precise1 is to be installed

Is this a known bug?

Thank you

John

P . P . L .
July 13th, 2014, 10:53 PM
I've got the same update showing this morning [ new hardware support available ] but it dosen't say what it's going to update, I'm running 12.04lts x32.

Will it f.u.b.a.r. anything, I haven't let it update yet.

John Coulthard
July 16th, 2014, 06:42 PM
I just installed it on my backup machine (12.04lts x32). The install completed and called for a restart. Now I get "Input Not Supported" on the display. Repeat reboots are no good. Can't see the machine on the network. Next step will be to install 14.04 from scratch after I have tested it from a live cd. (I may wait a few days for this). Annoying for sure.

Approach with caution.

John.

cigtoxdoc
July 17th, 2014, 05:32 PM
I have had this update work on two PCs and fail on two. The two PCs for which it worked are hp/compaq dx2250m (running 12.04 64-bit) and hp/compaq dx2200m (running 12.04 32-bit). Update has failed on my Dell Vostro 3500 laptop (12.04 64-bit, CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz) and it also failed on a home-built desktop that has a AMD thlon(tm) II X3 450 processor. That PC is also 12.04 64-bit.

Does anyone know what is going on?

John

koenr
July 18th, 2014, 02:53 AM
Have you thought of problems with closed source graphic drivers?

cigtoxdoc
July 18th, 2014, 03:22 AM
One PC with nVidia driver upgraded correctly. It is only a single cpu processor. Problem seems to be 3.8.0-44-generic kernel.

John

John Coulthard
July 18th, 2014, 03:42 AM
My problem seems to be related to the newer OS not recognizing the graphics adapter. My backup machine is a HP Pavilion, dual 4400 with Nvida and 2gig. 14.04 comes up in 640x480 mode. After all updates applied the system restarted with the correct display size then froze. On reboot I get "Input not supported". Backed down to 12.04.4 and got "Input not supported". Fortunately I still had a 12.04.3 install CD (which was my original install on that machine) and it comes up fine. System... details shows "Graphics: Unknown" but it is working ok. Applied all updates ok. I'm pretty well back to normal now and am not interested in exploring this problem any deeper right now.

Needless to say I have no plans to upgrade from 12.04 or apply any "New hardware support..." until maybe later this winter when I have more time. ("It's summertime and the living is easy....").

John.

cigtoxdoc
July 18th, 2014, 06:22 AM
I tried removing the dependencies, but it looks like when I did that, I wiped out programs that did not install; inclduing ones controlling Internet access. How do I recover?

John

bapoumba
July 18th, 2014, 06:34 AM
Would it be related with this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2234478 ?

To recover packages that got removed, the best way is :
1- to ensure your repos are stock ubuntu (main, restricted, universe, multiverse) for security and updates, without third party repos or ppa
2- reinstall ubuntu-desktop if running ubuntu (or the flavor one if running a flavor).

cigtoxdoc
July 18th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Thank you, bapoumba. Several problems here: 1) when one got rid of the offending packages, network commnications were lost; 2) I was getting both wlc_scan errors and borken pipe errors, and 3) I have lost the nVdia (304) drivers which are much better than the nouveau drivers. It would appear that the simplest solution is to change the video drivers to nouveau drivers and the hardware upgrade will probably be okay.

John

bapoumba
July 18th, 2014, 11:38 PM
From what I have gathered here and there, best for now is to wait.
Can you give an up-to-date situation and the problems you are running into, with error messages if you have them, thanks.

cigtoxdoc
July 19th, 2014, 03:38 AM
Thank you for your reply. Both problem PCs have had the hardware upgrade and are back with nVidia video drivers. Those in charge of Ubuntu should have provided step-by-step instructions for identyfying problem PCs, removing the offending video drivers, converting to the nouveau drivers, running the hardware upgrade, and installing the new nVidia drivers. For both PCs, removing the offending nVidia drivers also resulted in loss of network communications and failure of the PC to reboot correctly. I spent about eight (8) hours removing the nVidia drivers, dealing with the "hell" that followed, getting the nouveau drivers installed, doing the hardware update, and reinstalling the nVidia drivers.

John

P . P . L .
July 19th, 2014, 06:32 AM
Hi.

I let it do the update the other day and it did some more updates yesterday as well, I have not had any problems so far.

yura2
July 22nd, 2014, 09:55 AM
Thanks guys for letting others know that this new hardware support may mess up Ubuntu installation.

Decided not to install new hardware support since I have a lot of work to do and basically don't have spare working days to play with it.

I believe this saved me a lot of time - thanks again!

P.S. It would be really nice if Ubuntu warned users that it is not 100% safe. New users may have been burned by this.

kansasnoob
July 22nd, 2014, 05:54 PM
Thanks guys for letting others know that this new hardware support may mess up Ubuntu installation.

Decided not to install new hardware support since I have a lot of work to do and basically don't have spare working days to play with it.

I believe this saved me a lot of time - thanks again!

P.S. It would be really nice if Ubuntu warned users that it is not 100% safe. New users may have been burned by this.

But you also need to be aware of the kernel support schedule:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack#Kernel.2BAC8-Support.LTS_Kernel_Support_Schedule

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/1204_HWE_EOL

Hopefully Canonical will have it sorted out by August 8th.

John Coulthard
February 27th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Seven months later so I thought I would give this another try. (HP Pavilion, dual 4400 with Nvida and 2gig.). Still fails although I get a few more opportunities to carry on. Run in low graphics mode...., Reconfigure graphics, Troubleshoot error, Exit to console login. None of these are any use (Even the "Exit to console login" ends in a hung machine.) except the "Troubleshoot error" does let me see the Xserver Log which ultimately ends in "Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module.".

This is a backup machine which I use to mirror my main computer, fairly old now although it has been reliable. I'm not inclined to put a lot of work into it so will probably just reinstall the old system. I won't upgrade my main computer - I like to have the two running identical software.

John Coulthard
March 4th, 2015, 04:54 PM
I re-installed 12.04.3 and am back to normal. I will stay with the configuration I have until 16.04 LTS is released.

kansasnoob
March 5th, 2015, 06:56 AM
I re-installed 12.04.3 and am back to normal. I will stay with the configuration I have until 16.04 LTS is released.

If you're then running the 3.8 series kernel you'll be running a long time with no security-related kernel updates:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack#Kernel.2BAC8-Support.A12.04.x_Ubuntu_Kernel_Support

Did the 12.04.1 images with the 3.2 series kernel not work? It would at least be supported until April 2017. They're archived here:

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/precise/