PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Installing from a Live USB..

Alfie_Heffer
July 12th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Hello!

I'm attempting to install Lubuntu 14.04 on my eMachine from a USB flash stick.

So far I have successfully downloaded Unetbootin, installed that and created a Live USB stick. I've played around in the BIOS so my computer boots from the USB stick before the Hard Drive (my eMachine doesn't have a CD drive). What happens now is that I get to a screen where it is counting down ten seconds with a choice of several things including 'default' 'install lubuntu' and 'Try without installing' etc.

Which ever one I click the same thing happens. The computer thinks a little then starts to flash the Lubuntu logo at me, I've waited 10-20mins with this screen on. Nothing happens. What could the problem be?

The reason why I am trying to install the new Lubuntu is because with the version I have every 4/5 time I turn my computer on it beeps continually at me. Until finally rebooting itself and working normally.

Cheers!
Alfie.

yancek
July 12th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Do you get the same result if you don't choose any option but let the count down finish and boot?

The reason why I am trying to install the new Lubuntu is because with the version I have every 4/5 time I turn my computer on it beeps continually at me

The beeping on boot is often a sign of some hardware failure. Different hardware has different beep codes so if it is continuous, you could post the motherboard type and someone else might be able to help.

Bucky Ball
July 12th, 2014, 10:17 PM
The beeping on boot is often a sign of some hardware failure. Different hardware has different beep codes so if it is continuous, you could post the motherboard type and someone else might be able to help.

Yep. Boot beeps aren't a good sign.

Alfie_Heffer
July 13th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Do you get the same result if you don't choose any option but let the count down finish and boot?

The beeping on boot is often a sign of some hardware failure. [...] you could post the motherboard type and someone else might be able to help.

I did get the same result yesterday. Today the numbers aren't counting down. Maybe the USB stick is of poor quality?

I hope it's not a hardware failure. Partly why I am reinstalling Lubuntu is to test if I have a hardware problem or if I (somehow) have damaged the operating system files etc.

The deep tone is as follows, 'beeep beeep beeep beeep beeep beeep beeep'. Really irritating.

Vladlenin5000
July 13th, 2014, 01:12 PM
You may need to reseat the memory modules (and properly clean the contacts). If the symptom persists then testing the memory should be the next step of troubleshooting.

Again, keep in mind that whatever happens before GRUB has nothing to do with the installed OS.