PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] advice on chromebook install

stuie2
July 12th, 2014, 06:53 PM
hi,
i have an acer c720P CB, 4gb ram , 16gb rom, touch screen.
I am going to upgrade to a 128gb rom ssd card before installing a dualboot ubuntu/xubuntu.
I am not a coder but ive rooted and flashed roms on nexus androids, prefer a self installing system which will also set up dualboot.
\I have installed the zorin OS on an old old laptop, and everything went great.
when i tried the new xubuntu OS as a test before using on CB it went into bootloop or some type of crash, re installed zorin fixed it.
I am looking for a lightweight distro, so xubuntu was my first choice, considering it is an 11.6 screen and touch enabled, is there a working version of ubuntu touch, or ubuntu for tablets that would suit this install?
Do i just install the desktop version and it will install correct parameters?
Which distro would be recommended for this type of install?

Apologies if this is not the right place to ask this type of question.
Regards
Stuart

Bucky Ball
July 12th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades.

All good. Welcome.

Yes, I would try the desktop version of Xubuntu, depending on the processor. I am not familar with the machine. Is it a regular AMD or Intel processor or ARM?

Xubuntu 14.04 LTS is supported for three years and has the best chance of working with newer hardware. 12.04 LTS is supported until 2015 and is rock solid. Which ever works for you. Either should just work 'out of the box'. ;)

As for which distro to use, you might like to post a thread in Ubuntu/Other OS chat and start a discussion about that, but quite a subjective thing. Might get moved to Recurring Discussions! Best thing is to try a few and see what works best for you (most run Live directly from USB or DVD/CD without altering your hard drive or installation). Try Distrowatch:

http://distrowatch.com/

Good luck.

PS: With a decent processor and that much RAM your machine is capable of running a full Ubuntu, but if you want lighter than Xubuntu, Lubuntu is the go. Minimal install, xfce4 desktop environment which is used by Xubuntu, and the apps I want/need personally, and I have an i3 and 4Gb of RAM. Speedy. ;)

PPS: It has 'a 1.4 GHz Intel Celeron 2955U' processor. Lubuntu would be best, or a minimal.

stuie2
July 13th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks very much for your quick reply and advice, I'll look into lubuntu.
Order my new ssd card and start having fun!
Great forum by the way, I'm going to tackle my win8 laptop after this and I can see answers to all the things I was uncertain about all their in replies to others, great knowledge resource, thanks so much for making it available so easily for everyone.
Cheers
Stuart