PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Change default session

kari0ca
July 12th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Hi there,
I have kubuntu 13.04 and recently i've made the update of some aplications and after that i only can login at the XBMC session, before this problem, i didn't even realized that i had a session for the XBMC.

So at the desktop environment i only can log in on this session, and i can't use the operating system, only the XMBC application

After that problem happened, i can change to the terminal mode (Ctrl+Alt+F1) at login and see if i could change the session or fix this problem, the thing is i can see the files that have the configuraton of the session, but i can't change them effectively.
for instance: i can see the session files on ~/.kde/share/config/sessions/ kmix and kwin and both seems to be ok.
at /var/lib/AccountsServices/users/ i can see my user file, and there, on the XSession parameter, there is XBMC. If i change this value and reboot my machine, nothing happens
at /usr/share/xsessions i can see both files: kde-plasma.desktop and XBMC.desktop, so i think that the solution would be to change the session on my user file, but even doing that, after a reboot, the file is changed to have the session XBMC.

How can i change the session effectively?

Bucky Ball
July 12th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Reboot the machine. When you get to the login screen you will find a drop-down menu 'Sessions'. You should be able to choose the correct desktop environment session from that.

kari0ca
July 14th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Reboot the machine. When you get to the login screen you will find a drop-down menu 'Sessions'. You should be able to choose the correct desktop environment session from that.That's the problem. I used to have only one session: KDE, but after the update of XBMC, on my login screen i can only see/choose the XBMC session as shown on the image attached.

Bucky Ball
July 14th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Please attach large images by using 'Go Advanced' or 'Adv Reply' and clicking the paperclip icon. Thanks.

Now that is odd. Where you have your cursor in the screenshot, directly over the 'xbmc' button. What happens when you click it? Do you get a selection of sessions?

kari0ca
July 14th, 2014, 03:32 PM
That's the only session that is displayed to me to select.As i said on the first post, i have 2 sessions on at /usr/share/xsessions, but i can only select XBMC

xc3RnbFO8P
July 14th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Try

sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-$(uname -r)
and restart

Bucky Ball
July 15th, 2014, 05:13 AM
Try

and restart

? Doubt the image has gone anywhere. If going this way, better, and less drastic, would be:

sudo apt-get install unity

Install the desktop environment again and see if that brings things into shape. Although I doubt Unity has gone anywhere, either. Are you getting a list of kernel options at boot? If not, try hitting shift directly after the BIOS screen at boot and that should bring up the list. You possibly just need to choose the correct kernel.

steeldriver
July 15th, 2014, 08:09 AM
first thing I would check is what desktop sessions are available according to

ls /usr/share/xsessions/

xc3RnbFO8P
July 15th, 2014, 11:03 AM
? Doubt the image has gone anywhere.

It just reinstall the image, this works for me, I have 9 sessions.

ringi@ringi-Lenovo-Ideapad-Flex-15:~$ ls /usr/share/xsessions/
cairo-dock.desktop
gnome.desktop
gnome-fallback.desktop
ubuntu.desktop
xubuntu.desktop
gnome-classic.desktop
gnome-fallback-compiz.desktop
kde-plasma.desktop
xfce.desktop
ringi@ringi-Lenovo-Ideapad-Flex-15:~$

kari0ca
July 17th, 2014, 06:53 PM
first thing I would check is what desktop sessions are available according to
ls /usr/share/xsessions/As i said on first post, i have 2 files (sessions): XBMC.desktop and kde-plasma.desktop
It just reinstall the image, this works for me, I have 9 sessions.ringi@ringi-Lenovo-Ideapad-Flex-15:~$ ls /usr/share/xsessions/cairo-dock.desktop gnome.desktop gnome-fallback.desktop ubuntu.desktop xubuntu.desktopgnome-classic.desktop gnome-fallback-compiz.desktop kde-plasma.desktop xfce.desktopringi@ringi-Lenovo-Ideapad-Flex-15:~$I think that the image that i have is ok, and i dont want to install another desktop environment, i just want to configure KDE to show and use the kde session.but i will try at the weekend the image reinstall.

steeldriver
July 17th, 2014, 06:59 PM
What does

cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager

say? it's possible that xbmc has just replaced your display manager with one that only recognizes xbmc sessions - you may need to run

sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm

kari0ca
July 18th, 2014, 12:29 AM
What does

say? it's possible that xbmc has just replaced your display manager with one that only recognizes xbmc sessions - you may need to run

/usr/sbin/lightdm

Package 'kdm' is not installed and no information is available...

kari0ca
July 18th, 2014, 12:35 AM
Try

sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-$(uname -r)
and restart
I've tryed that ad got no result on my problem.

kari0ca
July 19th, 2014, 02:03 AM
sudo apt-get install --reinstall kubuntu-desktop
That solved my problem.
Now i can choose the session that i want!

Bucky Ball
July 19th, 2014, 02:07 AM
Excellent. Please mark the thread as solved to help others. Good luck. ;)