PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Default apps in Ubuntu 14.04 Gnome

RogerDavis
July 12th, 2014, 04:41 AM
I want to change some default apps to something other than is listed as options.

However, there is no "other" or "browse" option, just the list that doesn't include my app.

I don't know if this is due to my use of Gnome or not.

How do I either add my app to the list, or input it's name and location, or ???

monkeybrain20122
July 12th, 2014, 04:46 AM
How did you install these applications? If you install them from third party you may need to make your own .desktop files. For an application to show up in your system as a launcher icon (doesn't matter which DE) there has to be a .desktop file, usually in /usr/share/applications if you install from the repository or a ppa. If not you may need to make one yourself and put it in .local/share/applications. You can go to /usr/share/applications and open one with an editor to check out the template.

RogerDavis
July 12th, 2014, 05:15 AM
This is how I installed it, I think... it's been a few days.
------------------------
$ echo -e "deb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... ozilla/apt all main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list > /dev/null
$ sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com C1289A29
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install seamonkey-mozilla-build
---------------------

Does this indicate that I need to make my own .desktop file?

And all I need to do is to drop it into .local/share/applications ?

Thanks!

monkeybrain20122
July 12th, 2014, 05:51 AM
I don't know about this one, but do you find a .desktop file like moziila-seamonkey.desktop, seamonket.desktop, mozilla-build-seamonkey.desktop or some variations in /usr/share/applications?

(either open the file manager, click on "computer" and navigate to /usr/share/applications or in the terminal type

cd /usr/share/applications
ls

and check the output.)

kansasnoob
July 12th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Are you using GNOME Shell?

If so you should just be able to search for seamonkey in the dash and then pin it to the launcher if you wish.

RogerDavis
July 12th, 2014, 05:29 PM
I am using Gnome.

I'm away from the computer until Monday, I can try that then.

I think I understand that I can drag the SeaMonkey icon to the place where the list shows, and it will be added, then I can select it as the default browser? If I'm wrong, can you be more specific about exactly how to do this?

Thanks!

kansasnoob
July 12th, 2014, 10:57 PM
I am using Gnome.

I'm away from the computer until Monday, I can try that then.

I think I understand that I can drag the SeaMonkey icon to the place where the list shows, and it will be added, then I can select it as the default browser? If I'm wrong, can you be more specific about exactly how to do this?

Thanks!

But in 14.04 there's the potential of 4 different GNOME sessions; GNOME Shell, GNOME Classic, GNOME Flashback (Metacity), or GNOME Flashback (Compiz). So we need to know what Gnome session you're actually running :)

RogerDavis
July 13th, 2014, 02:42 AM
It's Flashback Metacity, I'm pretty sure. If changes are persistent, I can log into any of them to accomplish what I need.

Thanks!

kansasnoob
July 13th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Sorry, I was confused until I saw your other thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2233684

If you ask here (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=251) nanotube may have an answer for you. He's helped me several times.