Power bars
USB cables
VGA monitor cables
earphones
headsets
LAN/ethernet cables
AC-to-DC cords
wired keyboards

I'd like to prevent them from bundling into one big mess. What I've done is to put rubber bands around the cords. For some items, I saran-wrapped entirely. The plastic wrap is not good for several reasons:

Hard to see what's wrapped inside
The wrap may unravel (I guess since I don't tape it).

Then I switched to rubber bands. What concerns me, though, with rubber bands, is that the cables might be damaged by the 180-degree angle that I put on the cables. I'm referring to the shape the cables are in when I coil them.

The best solution I can think of is to put each item in its own ziplock bag; I'm reluctant to do this because of the price of zip-lock bags. I'd need 30 of different sizes.

What advice do you all have?

TheFu
July 12th, 2014, 12:43 PM
If they are being used, I leave them alone and don't touch out of fear:
Otherwise, I throw them all into a big plastic container and forget them. They are rolled into circles and either twist-ties or velcro holds them in those circles. I guess it depends on if the cables are being used or not?

Wall-warts (power plugs) get silver permanent marker saying which device it goes with. Why silver? Because most power adapters are black.

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 12th, 2014, 05:45 PM
I thought this was a good idea for toilet paper rolls. https://www.flickr.com/photos/stukinha/8651632689/

tgalati4
July 12th, 2014, 07:03 PM
I hang mine. Some in my office, some in the garage. There are several ways to do it--you can search google images. You quickly see which cords you have way, way too many of and dump them or give them away.

Jonor
July 12th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Old cotton lycra socks cut up into rings make great bands that will outlast rubber bands.
Useful for holding the wrapped cable against a piece of small equiptment such as a charger.

bashiergui
July 12th, 2014, 09:50 PM

Bucky Ball
July 12th, 2014, 11:06 PM

Yea, that's what I'm talking about ...

I have a shirt load of cables and no wall space to put up something to hang them on. It's frustrating. Hanging is by far the best I know of. For very long cables you can use a water hose reel, if you know what I mean. Might be called something different where you are, but you roll a water hose onto it.

sportscrazed2
July 15th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Throw away every single one you don't need. Buy more off monoprice if you want to have a future replacement just in case. keep in packaging until you actually need it. That's what I would do

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 15th, 2014, 08:16 PM
I have a shirt load of cables and no wall space to put up something to hang them on...

So, you have them hanging on a clothes hanger in the closet. :)

akoubu.9a
July 15th, 2014, 08:44 PM
I thought this was a good idea for toilet paper rolls. https://www.flickr.com/photos/stukinha/8651632689/
Nice idea! Thanks, Wolf.

akoubu.9a
July 15th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Old cotton lycra socks cut up into rings make great bands that will outlast rubber bands.
Useful for holding the wrapped cable against a piece of small equiptment such as a charger.
Thanks, Jonor. This works well with larger-diameter items. But not so much with, for example, a set of earphones and its cable.

Jonor
July 15th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Bicycle inner tube rings for that. I'm sure Eskimos and rain forrest inhabitants have their substitute in this case ;)

akoubu.9a
July 15th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Bicycle inner tube rings for that. I'm sure Eskimos and rain forrest inhabitants have their substitute in this case ;)
Thanks, Jonor. We have several bicycles.

Bucky Ball
July 16th, 2014, 06:46 AM
So, you have them hanging on a clothes hanger in the closet. :)

Yep, and my jackets are in the cable box under my desk! ;)