PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu is asking me for a "passphrase"?! before login??

smokingates
July 12th, 2014, 03:18 AM
Hi, I have recently gone the length to do a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and this time around I decided to encrypt the installation with the option provided and also the home folder. Now when I boot it's asking me for a passphrase to unlock the hard disk but I never created one, the only 2 security measures I have created whilst installing (delete previous and install new) are a standard user account password and the encryption key. At first I thought it must mean the encryption key so I tried that several times to no avail.

After 3 or 4 attempts it drops me to a shell with a message saying about root folder missing I can't recall exactly because the machine in question is in my bedroom and this machine is downstairs in the house where I live.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

smokingates
July 12th, 2014, 04:23 AM
Never Mind. I decided to do yet another install without any encrytion. Seems to be working ok so far.

brianmc
July 12th, 2014, 08:38 AM
What you've obviously done is picked the encrypted LVM option on install. That's significantly different from just having an encrypted user directory.