PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I change a window's menu's text color when the window is not maximized?

shaansweb
July 11th, 2014, 10:47 PM
Hello,

I am using the stock Ubuntu Unity Desktop Environment. Starting with Ubuntu 14.04, Canonical moved away from using global menus for unmaximized windows and instead places the menu on the window boarder. Because my window boarder has a dark color and the text is black, it's kind of hard to read (see screenshot below). Does anyone know how I can change this?

http://i.imgur.com/JluevBn.png

Clarification Edit: I have learned that the name of the text I am trying to change is the Locally Integrated Menu

mooreted
July 12th, 2014, 12:41 AM
What theme are you using? Mine doesn't look like that. Also, you have the choice of using the window menu or the global menu.

Open "Appearance" and see if you are using the "Ambiance" theme. If not, change to that.

grumblebum2
July 12th, 2014, 04:35 AM
You can use gtk-theme-config to adjust some colours.

sudo apt-get install gtk-theme-config

shaansweb
July 12th, 2014, 11:11 AM
You can use gtk-theme-config to adjust some colours.

sudo apt-get install gtk-theme-config

But this doesn't have an option to change the text I want to. See the text that is circled in red

shaansweb
July 12th, 2014, 11:15 AM
What theme are you using? Mine doesn't look like that. Also, you have the choice of using the window menu or the global menu.

Open "Appearance" and see if you are using the "Ambiance" theme. If not, change to that.

I don't want to change themes though. I just want to change the text color

grumblebum2
July 12th, 2014, 11:18 AM
In Ubuntu 14.04 the unity compiz plugin draws the window decorations.
Changing colours for the panel also changes the same for the title bar as in my previous attached pic.
To see the change kill nautilus via terminal...

nautilus -q

Then just open your file browser.

or
you may have to log out and back in.

shaansweb
July 12th, 2014, 12:19 PM
In Ubuntu 14.04 the unity compiz plugin draws the window decorations.
Changing colours for the panel also changes the same for the title bar as in my previous attached pic.
To see the change kill nautilus via terminal...

nautilus -q

Then just open your file browser.

or
you may have to log out and back in.

I don't think you understand what I'm trying to change. Look at the text that is circled in red. I am trying to change the color of the menu text (File, Edit, View, etc). I am NOT trying to change the window title text color. The window title is the correct color, but hides when I mouse over it to display the menu, so is not visible in my screenshot. Your screenshot is showing the title text, not the menu. This was first introduced in 14.04 so if you're using an older version, you won't know what I'm talking about

grumblebum2
July 12th, 2014, 12:37 PM
I don't think you understand what I'm trying to change. Look at the text that is circled in red. I am trying to change the color of the menu text (File, Edit, View, etc). I am NOT trying to change the window title text color. The window title is the correct color, but hides when I mouse over it to display the menu, so is not visible in my screenshot. Your screenshot is showing the title text, not the menu. This was first introduced in 14.04 so if you're using an older version, you won't know what I'm talking about
I understand exactly what you want to change.
Changing the panel text colour using gtk-theme-config changes both the
window title and the hover menu colour here.

If it doesn't work then the theme your using may not be compatible with the latest unity.
What theme?

Test gtk-theme-config using the default ambiance theme.

mooreted
July 12th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Found this about theming:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unity/Theming

shaansweb
July 12th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Didn't work. :(

I'm using the Numix Vince theme http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Numix+Vince?content=163740

shaansweb
July 12th, 2014, 10:26 PM
Found this about theming:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unity/Theming

This bit seems promising but I don't know where to insert in in the dozens of css files my theme has

UnityDecoration.menuitem {
color: #dd4814;
}

grumblebum2
July 12th, 2014, 11:03 PM
Installed the theme and it has the same fault here.
Post your error to the gnome-look page
or
Try some of the themes in the noobslab ppa.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/themes
sudo apt-get update

Then just browse the ppa in synaptic.